Where can I find ENDLER guppies?

Bubblebum

:wave: Hi Friends,

Do any of you know a breeder or seller of genuine ENDLER guppies? If you do I would love to hear from you please.

I'm totally in love with these little cuties but can't find any!!! Also looking for some albino guppies that are nz bred, I don't want to risk putting in imported fish with my beautiful nz bred community fish. I have heard too many horror story's & decided not to take the risk.

Thanks heaps, I hope to hear from you real soon :thup:

Have a happy week,

Bubblebum.

Do we actually have true endlers in NZ?

From what I've read there's a pretty good chance noone in the world has true endlers. Likely all in the hobby are hybridized with guppies and the wild ones have been wiped out. So you'd just trying to get the most endlerish guppies or least guppyish endlers.

From what I've read there's a pretty good chance noone in the world has true endlers. Likely all in the hobby are hybridized with guppies and the wild ones have been wiped out. So you'd just trying to get the most endlerish guppies or least guppyish endlers.

that is true, as people kept the 2 species together, they cross breed and now no pure endlers

No (pure) Endler in NZ. Redwood Aquatics in ChCh had some Tiger Endler (which is a cross between a galaxy guppy short tail male and a endlers female) a while ago. They looked pretty good but still not 100% pure. Was too late to source some from them :(

The only way to get 100% Endler is from AdrianHD over in USA. He collects them himselfe and keeps them in his fish room that holds 500 tanks + an army of drums:

picture_351_179.jpg

picture_352_492.jpg

picture_353_838.jpg

picture_354_154.jpg

picture_355_415.jpg

picture_2059_665.jpg

picture_2053_179.jpg

Source of images = Click

Another source is Phil in France. He collects Endler himselfe every now and then and is a great source for Endler in Europe. All the rest (AquaBid & PetShops) are not to be trusted...

If anyone knows a transshipper for NZ or someone with a Quarantine Room is interested, I would be keen to spend a fair bit of money to get some strain over to us. Please PM me if you can help with that matter...

Cheers,

JaSa

• 2 weeks later...

Used to see these every now and then in Aus. Absoloutely tiny and not much variation between individuals at all. Mostly imported stock. Tiny bodies (smaller even than the inbred thai guppies) and very strong colours (crosses tend to look washed out) are the real give aways.

Can't say what the availability over here is.

I have some 'Endlers' from Redwoods. They are a great looking fish, some with 'typical' Endler looking patterns, others with the tiger patterning which is impressive. I'm in the process of breeding them up so it will be a while before I have any available. The ones on the TradeMe lisiting are at best very poor 'Endler' crosses and are not worth buying.

Hi there,

Many thanks to all who replied to my question, thanks also for the photo's....What an amazing set up! How great would it be to go and visit that breeding room!?!? :nfs:

Okay so endlers are possibly a fish of the past, how sad as they look simply stunning!

Have a great day peoples :thup:

Bubblebum x

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ange_AJMS

The first picture is a Blackbar Endler Hybrid. Easy to spot on the snakes skin pattern in the dorsal fin. Pure Endler no snake skin, mosaik or anything like that.

Second picture is a so called "Tiger Endler" which is a cross between a galaxy guppy and a female Endler.

So both are no pure Endler - but nice fish without a question :)

JaSa

Hi Ange_AJMS

The first picture is a Blackbar Endler Hybrid. Easy to spot on the snakes skin pattern in the dorsal fin. Pure Endler no snake skin, mosaik or anything like that.

Second picture is a so called "Tiger Endler" which is a cross between a galaxy guppy and a female Endler.

So both are no pure Endler - but nice fish without a question :)

JaSa

Thank you JaSa for that information, I now know what I am looking for :thup:

Depending on the guppy strain you have, you wont be able to tell the difference. Not without testing them against a Tiger Endler male and check the offspring in F1 anyway.

Hybridization is the biggest danger / issue with Endler's. That's why we only have watered down versions around. Especially with a Tiger Endler, which is already a Hybrid. Doesn't need much to loose the few Endler genes this strain has.

I don't want to be rude or anything but giving away these (un-tested) females as Endler wouldn't be fair...

JaSa

I don't want to be rude or anything but giving away these (un-tested) females as Endler wouldn't be fair...

JaSa

I see your point, I do have one endler female (according to redwood aquarium) that is in with 2 guppy females, so I will separate her so that future females should hopefully be endlers to.