What I'm doing now the big tanks have gone; Project Sunshine

David R

Now that the downscaling and moving has taken place I thought I'd share my current set up. Its not as big and impressive as the previous tanks, but it will have to keep me occupied until we're settled again and have bought/built a new house where I can set up another monster-sized tank...

Tank1.jpg

Tank2.jpg

Tank3.jpg

Tank4.jpg

140x65x48cm (LxWxH), ~400L with sump, Eheim Compact+ 5000 return and Eheim 2224 canister

8 L14 sunshine plecs

1 L002 panaque

5 Satanoperca leucosticta (aka "jurupari"), not quite sure about these guys, may move them on and replace them with something smaller depending on how fast they (and the plecs) grow and how the tank looks.

10 Corydoras sterbai

5 C. julii

At this stage the only other planned addition is a school of 20-30 tetras, probably cardinals. The goal is to grow the sunshines out and hopefully before they're too big for the current set up we will be settled again and I'll have something bigger to move them into, with the long-term goal of establishing a breeding pair/group. Henward is currently babysitting the remainder of my plecs (L128, L81, and the giant whiptail) and they'll be added back into the mix some time in the future when tank space allows it.

Good looking tank David! and nice plecs!

Is that silica sand?

Stick with the S. leucostacta mate, I'm sure they will do something very interresting if/when they get old enough to start breeding.

I wouldn't trust them with a flok of Cardinals though. I haven't tried it but I know my altifrons snapped up quite a few neons as soon as they were big enough to fit one in their mouth.

I would however trust both G. altifrons and S. leucosticta (even full grown) with any tetras that are larger than neons/cardinals. eg. Red Phanthoms, Yellow, penguin, silvertips etc... that size and up.

Thanks.

Thomas its not silica sand, but a fine white sand that comes from a place in Christchurch (saw it in a friends tank down there and had to have some, luckily I was able to get a friend who was driving up to bring me some!). IMO it looks a bit more natural that silica, probably can't tell from the pics but its not as bright. It is really fine though so I'm not sure I'll keep it, as the eartheaters and plecs get bigger they'll stir it up and I don't really want it getting into the filter.

I really had my mind set on cardinals, never kept them before and they'd look great in this set up. Maybe I will have to have a break from keeping eartheaters for a while, they're useful keeping the sand turned over but I like watching the small fish in a large[ish] tank too. Maybe more cories, a few apistos and the cardinals would be a better option...

I really had my mind set on cardinals

You could always test it with a small school of neons. As I said I don't know if S. leucosticta will do like the altifrons and "accidentally" swallow a few in the night.. You should try it.. I would like to know :wink: and if they eat them then at least your live food was not expensive cardinals.

I am planning on adding a large school of tetras to my 300L S. leucosticta setup too. Maybe lemons (like Japes tank)

rummy noses are pretty cool too and get a bit bigger than cardinals

I had 5 rummy noses that "disapeared" during the nights as well :facepalm:

But that's it... I promise.. neons and rummy noses is what my geos have eaten. No other tetras than that. (I had Silvertip, Penguin, Glowlight, Red Phanthom succesfully with my Geos)

I think the altifrons can be a bit opportunistic, I remember seeing someone on MFK post a pic of his largest that had tried swallowing a small barb/tetra and choked, killing them both.

Tough decision, I really wanted a school of cardinals and would like a few dwarf SA cichlids, but the leucos are growing on me and are starting to look good, they are a bit shy though. Do I try the neons and see how long they last, or go for some lemons or rosys?

Would like to see some pics of your 300L some time, what colour substrate are your leucos on?

Funny my Leucos (common name from now on :slfg: ) are quite the oposite of shy.

Substrate is fine redish sand from a beach north on the Coromandel.. some of it gets sucked into the filters but thats mainly because my Royal thrashes around like mad and stirres up the sand so much.

Here's a pic that shows the substrate and a fat Sterbai. Don't have a good pic of the whole tank yet.. still on the lookout for some large root like pieces of native driftwood.

IMG_0123.jpg

I had a school of columbian tetra's in my 6 footer, I reckon they're pretty awesome. Have a nice blue sheen, and are voracious eaters! You don't really see many tanks in NZ with lemon tetra for some reason, they are an awesome little fish.

I've read they're better kept in species tanks?

I've been doing some reading and it seems people think rummy noses are the best schoolers out of the more regularly available tetras, and thats really what I'm looking for; something that will swim around in a fairly tight school.

sunshines i find out of all the plecos is one of the most active and non shy pleco i have had (except sailfin)

8 of them will be crazy awesome!!!!!

eventually, watching the demolish a whole prawn or fish fillet would be awesome to watch lol

Get some Asian Rummy-noses

I'm somewhat racist when it comes to fish for this tank, don't want any asians... :lol:

They might also be a bit on the small side, unless someone buys my leucos!! (if they don't I'll be going for something high-bodied, probably lemons)