piranhas

rosco

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy who owned the rangiora lfs before it went out of business said he had pirahna at home, i kept listening.... then he said he had some for sale, i puzzlingly questioned further and then was shown them - long story short they were meytynnis sp., small too. I think they get false id in a lot of cases with small pacu, especially places like animates who have trouble IDIng the most simple fish and just read what is on their list.

piranha are much prettier than dollars or pacu. they look like they are covered in silver glitter. very pretty fish imo. and quite docile.

here is a pic of that madman jeremy wade in a pool with a bunch of piranha that haven't been fed in a week or so. he later on drops in a bit of blood - while he's in there. and they just left him alone...

0.jpg

Yeah they're pretty timid in most cases, the storied about them tearing cows to pieces would be from the odd occasion where a school gets stranded in an isolated pool somewhere as the high water drops at the end of the wet season in the Amazon. A week isn't that long, maybe if they'd left them for a month or two with minimal food they would have gone for him...

Im shore about 6 years ago animates was selling piranas here in tauranga.

lol, that was a poor little pacu that was being seriously abused, sold them a big Pleco to go in with it, had to spend half an hour acclimating it as they had no idea what to do with it. it ended up in a turtle tank then dead from what I heard

I have had the opportunity to look after Red Belly piranhas on several ocassions. They are very shy fish, always swimming in a school. Having my arm in the fish tank doing what was necessary was not a problem at all. Regardless of a very good feed, the fish were very nasty to each other when they were left on their own. Usually, all I saw was just a fish head as everything else was eaten. Some individuals were bitten, usually a chunk of flesh off the back off the fish.

On one occasion when I had a fish in the net, it flicked over and in a spilt second it took a chunk of skin off my finger. I was very lucky that it was just a little fish. :)