Nearly flooded the house - PLEASE HELP.

Faithbleed

Hi Guys

I'm setting up my first marine tank and am having issues filling the tank.

It seems my return is too powerful, so the last section of my sump drains too quickly, and returns water back into the tank to a point where it nearly floods.

Details are:

- 300L tank

- 100L sump (divided into 3 sections (drain+skimmer/fuge/return))

- 2 x 32mm drains (with ball valves)

- Eheim 1260 return (25mm)

Anyone have any suggestions?

Seriously worried about trying this again as we nearly had a disaster early today (Girlfriend nearly killed me). :(

Images of setup: http://imgur.com/a/hF4mH

Cheers

Dave

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers for the reply LA.

- Any ideas on how to slow my flow down back to the tank? (can I put a ball valve on the return line or will that screw the return pump?)

- Yeah, I realized that when I went to put the sump in, it's a tight fit for everything really.

- If the pump shuts down, there will definitely be flooding... :oops: If I drain it, do you think I could take it back to Greg and get him to modify it?

the way i did my sump was when all pumps were off and the tank was drained into the sump the sump would be full(not overflowing) and tank to lowest point of overflow, which means if im away and power shuts off it will only fill the sump and not the floor

the way i did my sump was when all pumps were off and the tank was drained into the sump the sump would be full(not overflowing) and tank to lowest point of overflow, which means if im away and power shuts off it will only fill the sump and not the floor

The easy way to do this would be to (mostly) empty the sump, then slowly fill the main tank letting it overflow to the sump, when the sump is at the max stop filling the main tank.

Is the second outflow working, looks like it could be a little high?

Thanks for the help and suggestions so far.

I might divide the return, by putting in a T fitting and put a valve on the diverted hose and run that back into the first section of the sump.

Ill look at the stand pipes as well becauce the durso modded one is probably a little high.

Ill see how that goes before i remove a baffle as i would like to do dsb/fuge in the middle section of the sump.

How do i 'feed the protein skimmer'?

Cheers Dave

I think the sump is too high, which is causing half my problems.

I have the space to put the T intersection in just as you can see:

http://imgur.com/a/HxpTC

But the tubing will have to run into the middle section due to height constraints (will take DSB out if that's the case).

Really not sure how to progress from here.

Any further suggestions before I modify anything?

Please excuse my ignorance (I use canister filters), but I thought that sumps were set up to prevent flooding?

sump.png

The tank and sump on the left picture show normal operation: Out take on the right flowing into the sump, then pumped back up on the left side.

The right side of the picture shows a malfunction, where the water in the tank drops to below the outtake. The sump should have enough room in it to take the water up to this point, preventing flooding, right?

Please excuse my ignorance (I use canister filters), but I thought that sumps were set up to prevent flooding?

sump.png

The tank and sump on the left picture show normal operation: Out take on the right flowing into the sump, then pumped back up on the left side.

The right side of the picture shows a malfunction, where the water in the tank drops to below the outtake. The sump should have enough room in it to take the water up to this point, preventing flooding, right?

Yeah I guess that's the idea, but mine was mainly to house the skimmer, heaters and a Deep Sand Bed/Macro Algae.

The reason the baffles are so high is because the skimmer instructions stated the ideal water level was just below the collection cup.

In retrospect I don't think it needs to be that high, and I might have to get the baffles reduced in height to give the piping more space and allow for power failure (hopefully Greg can do that).

Cheers

Dave

how do I know what the best height for for skimmer is?

The manual should tell you, or any other site with its specs.

how high should the baffles come and

To the best height of the skimmer would be a good place to start.

The manual should tell you, or any other site with its specs.

To the best height of the skimmer would be a good place to start.

That's exactly the height baffles are now, but that doesn't allow enough room for return pump failure.

The vids I've seen of the nw150 running in other sumps is with much less water...

That's exactly the height baffles are now, but that doesn't allow enough room for return pump failure.

The vids I've seen of the nw150 running in other sumps is with much less water...

So you raise the overflow and spraybar in the tank so less water drains out of it into the sump.

Or make the whole sump higher with the baffles the same height.

Or you run with less water overall. That way the return pump chamber in the sump should have less water in it, but everything else would be at the same water level.