Nothobranchius guentheri Zanzibar Island TAN 97-2

Adrienne

Probably not that particular variety but I have kept and bred thousands of Nothobranchius guentheri. Like most Nothos they can be buggers for getting velvet. Salt or peat tends to help and they are very sensitive to copper (killed a few hundred once with one seventh of the dose of chelated copper sulphate).

Nothos do not like me - they always kark it.

P44 has some of these, although he is resisting my suggestions on a breeding tank - the peat spawning tub thing in a display tank is messy, so he will have to get one!

I used to breed them as trios in small tanks. Put sand through a fine seive that is smaller mesh size than the eggs and keep what goes through the net. After spawning put all but the fish through the seive and you will be left with only eggs. Add to moist peat and store for 3-4 months then wet --you will only get 10-15% hatch so store again for a month and repeat. You can dry the peat out till quite dry before storing. Can have babies colourd up in about 6 weeks--very fast growers. They love live food. Sensitive to copper and probably malachite green. Can use acriflavine to treat mild velvet but best to avoid it with salt or peat or both. Nice looking fish. When you have a few hundred in a planted tank they look like a war is going on but it is all bluff.

If you check out his feedback he seems to have sold a few adult males. Never seen him with females for sale. I was tempted to buy one of the auctions for 30 eggs, but then I figured if by some chance most of them hatched I live in Cambridge now and i'm not confident enough to ship fish so it could just go bad and i'll end up with heaps of fish and need to find space for more tanks :P . But then maybe having no experience with killfish they may not hatch at all.

I checked with our local breeder and he has Nothobranchius guentheri for sale at $7 each and also Aphyosemion australe gold for sale at $10 each. Getting a few together would save freight. They are young and just coming up to breeding age.

PM me if interested, and I can give you a contact phone number.