Why no Dart Frogs in NZ?

Devo

If my understanding is correct, NZ has a similar system of permits for keeping reptiles as they have in Australia. They have a permit system to keep their native reptiles and we have a pemit system to keep our native reptiles. The difference is that they are not allowed exotics but we are allowed a restricted number and it is not clear which ones they are.

Their natives are our exotics but I don't think our natives are their exotics

In NZ in terms of native reptiles, you need someone to 'donate' you some of their stock and you need to have a license (pay a fee to DOC..possibly be inspected at some point if we have time Sir). Some people get off on the fact that they have animals that other people don't, it is more about having a 'collection' as a pose to conserving a species. You can't sell animals or release into the wild, but you can give them to that guy that did you a favour, or that kid that likes dinosaurs cos they are kool.

In Australia anyone- provided you are licensed (paid a fee, had your enclosures inspected, know your stuff/have the right experience) can purchase a native reptile (appropriate to their experience) from an individual or a retailer (different in each state). If you are successful at breeding your reptiles then you can sell them to someone that has the right skills to look afther them well (they have a license too)..... And you can't release into the wild.

The aussie system does its best to prevent mixing of subspecies or species being released and having a negative impact on the local fauna/flora- if you live in Perth then you can only keep the local species of bearded dragon. In Victoria you are allowed to keep monitors from the Northern Territory simply because there is no way they could establish a wild population as they need conditions that are completely different to Victoria- no risk of any enviromental impact ( same as iguanas, day geckos, leopard torts in New Zealand)

Here in NZ you frequently see multiple species that can hybridise in the same cage, resulting in hybrids.... :facepalm:

And the aussie system generates income for itself and conservation initiatives and provides a safe guard against extinctions- example: Cane Toads are spreading West. They are toxic to the 3 water monitor species. It is likely the monitors will be extinct in the wild at some point. Once the Cane Toad issue is solved (could be 1 year, could be 100) then the captive monitors in the hobby can be used to reestablish wild populations....internationally recognised practice...why can't we do with Otago Skinks?????????????????????

But yes you are right- they can't keep exotics...and yes, it is not clear which ones we can have.

And most experts except that BOTH systems have the same ammount of abuse in terms of illegal export (at least the reptiles smuggled out of Oz may be captive bred instead of wild caught which seems to be the trend here in NZ), so there is absolutely NO benefit to the system we are involved in....essentially we have a system that a retarded 6 year old could create during morning tea time in place for natives, and a system that is all over the place like a mad woman's c--p in place for exotics.....australians are not especially renowned for their intellect but they are obviously way smarter than MAF.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

making it specific to cane toads only and the vast area they have spread over :dunno:

more chance of organising a reptile society in nz

Eh, both are possible in theory.

Just no one has any idea exactly how to go about either.

I'm confused now.

After just having a chat with my partner he mentioned his work mate had tried to get a turtle shipped to NZ and customs etc at the airport priced it up at around 5k at the time and you had to have a special enclosure etc. But decided it was too expensive.

I thought it was impossible to import any reptile unless your a zoo?

I'm confused now.

After just having a chat with my partner he mentioned his work mate had tried to get a turtle shipped to NZ and customs etc at the airport priced it up at around 5k at the time and you had to have a special enclosure etc. But decided it was too expensive.

I thought it was impossible to import any reptile unless your a zoo?

Assuming the second hand information is roughly accurate, it could be the costs he's remembering were part of what's required to be registered as a "Zoo"