Lights for a 4ft tank

Sheepsnana

Hi Everyone,

I've been looking at getting some lights for my new 4ft tank. Pricing isn't cheap, but I've found a couple on TradeMe that might do the job.

If I am limited to a single bulb, what's the best colour to use for growing plants? It's a single T5 Slimline.

You're going to want more than a single tube for growing plants, you might get really low light plants to survive but they won't grow well. It doesn't really matter what tube you use.

Looks like the Slimline T5s you said you're looking at are 28 watts for the 1200mm long ones. I'm guessing that's the length you have? You'll probably want 3-4 more to get into a low-moderate amount of light.

I just had a look, the biggest slimline T5 on trademe at the moment looks like a single one, 15 watts. You'd want like 7-8 total of those tiny ones.

I just had a look, the biggest slimline T5 on trademe at the moment looks like a single one, 15 watts. You'd want like 7-8 total of those tiny ones.

Damn.

one of the guys from our club has just offered me some T8 Flouro's, so hopefully they will do a much better job.

I've just done some research and finished my tank's light setup and it look good. But my tank is for Cichlids. So I use one marine blue and one life glo T5.

I think you still will need two bulb unit on your 4 ft...

Power glo 54w 18000K T5 bulb is good for the plant. You can get two of them or one life glo (6700K) and one power glo.

Hagen Glo Twin 54w T5 Ballast Light is a good one to go. Trademe price is around $90 ~ $130. You can get bulbs from any pet shop. But I found petstop is the cheapest. Power glo bulb $58. Life glo bulb $38.

Make sure you get good refelector to get the best effect from the light. I think there is someone from CHCH sell refelector for Hagen Glo Twin 54w T5 Ballast Light for $48.

BTW, The light bulb is 115cm long.

I hope these helps...