Nitrate Skyrocket

chris_irl

My last test done was last night

Amm: 0

Nitirite: 20ppm

Nitrate: 5ppm

Changed 40% to remove snail rid dose and did some work on the tank, adding weights to the driftwood to hold it down and moved a plant or two. Added a little ammonia solution (20ml or so) just to keep bacteria turning over

Test it this morning again

Amm:0

Nitrite: 20ppm

Nitrate: 160ppm+ (as dark a colour as the scale goes)

Changed another 20% this morning, no fish in tank yet it's still cycling.

Any reason the nitrates would skyrocket like that? The substrate is peat under sand, would disturbing it to bury the weights released that much nitrate?

I'm confused.

A couple of thoughts.

Aquatic plants preferentially take up ammonia before they use nitrate. So, you might get a larger population of nitrifying bacteria in your filter if you remove the plants, and put them in later on when the filter is cycled. But since your nitrite levels are high, perhaps you don't need to.

Disturbing the substrate with oxygenated water could have killed off the anaerobic denitrifying bacteria which had been converting nitrate to N2 gas.

My last test done was last night

Amm: 0

Nitirite: 20ppm

Nitrate: 5ppm

Changed 40% to remove snail rid dose and did some work on the tank, adding weights to the driftwood to hold it down and moved a plant or two. Added a little ammonia solution (20ml or so) just to keep bacteria turning over

Test it this morning again

Amm:0

Nitrite: 20ppm

Nitrate: 160ppm+ (as dark a colour as the scale goes)

Changed another 20% this morning, no fish in tank yet it's still cycling.

Any reason the nitrates would skyrocket like that? The substrate is peat under sand, would disturbing it to bury the weights released that much nitrate?

I'm confused.

What concentration was the ammonia solution at.

also, you already had nitrites, they would have converted to nitrate. also, your ammonia in your morning reading is 0, so your tank dealt to the ammonia you added, creating NO2 and NO3. Do a couple water changes over teh day to bring it down. NO3 is not harmful to your fish.

Aquatic plants preferentially take up ammonia before they use nitrate.

They readily take up ammonium, (NH4+) which as you'd know by now is pH based, and varies wildly in each tank dependant on a number of factors, and is in a equilibrium.

So, you might get a larger population of nitrifying bacteria in your filter if you remove the plants, and put them in later on when the filter is cycled. But since your nitrite levels are high, perhaps you don't need to.

Whilst the filter is a main source of high-surface area for bacteria, reality is that they will grow on everything and anything that is in the tank. Removing plants is only going to increase your NO3 readings.

As G.C points out, you have already cycled if your moving that ammonia solution to NO3 overnight! If anything, get more plants!

Disturbing the substrate with oxygenated water could have killed off the anaerobic denitrifying bacteria which had been converting nitrate to N2 gas.

You have to have at least a 6" sand bed to get anaerobic bacteria...

so, end of day, song remains the same....

DO YOUR WATERCHANGES! :thup:

EDIT: just saw your substrate note. how long has your peat been in there? that could well be a source of NO3's...

see here : http://journals.lww.com/soilsci/Citation/1971/02000/Nitrate_Transformation_in_Peat.6.aspx

Doesnt look like too much ammonia was added to me if it was zero again the next day. I reckon - like the others said- do daily water changes to bring you nitrites down under 5. Dont disturb your substrate. Also You will not get true nitrate readings while you still have nitrites. cheers

yeah you could be right. i dont know how big the tank is or what ammonia measures after adding it but it was dealt with in 24hrs. The next stage certainly needs to develop more and will stall until those nitrite levels are brought down. Mistakes were made by rearraging the plants and substrate which wouldnt of helped too.

Amm was 18mg per litre., added 20ml.about 2ppm overall Back to zero overnight. I'll check it all tmro anyway, off to womad today. No fish so no real danger, I'll change asuch as needed tmro to sort it and re test too in case I messed it up slightly.

Thanks for the replies though, interesting stuff...

Ammonia as used in an aquarium setting normally refers to total ammonia ie. both free ammonia and ammonium ion, the respective levels of which depend on pH and temperature. Free ammonia freely diffuses across cell membranes into aquatic plant leaves where it is converted to ammonium, and either stored, or, used in amino acid synthesis. The uptake of ammonium requires membrane transporters and is something that requires energy as opposed to the free diffusion of free ammonia. In an acidic environment ( presumably the case here because of the peat substrate ), then the plant presumably will need to actively transport ammonium as it should be the major form of ammonia.

Anaerobic bacteria can co-exist with aerobic bacteria in biofilms, and do not require a deep sand bed as blueether reports..