Best lightning for cichlid tank

bigfishhead

Hi Guys,

I have a new displaying tank setup in the dining room. I am trying to get the best light effect and reflection on water and my coral sand. I was building a 3D background to fit in the tank. But failed half way as lack of time to finish it off. :(

I use to have Aqua one 40w double tube light on my 760L tank. But the light effect is not so good. So I sale it with the tank at moment.

Can anyone of you suggest what light could be good for my new tank?

New tank size is 1500 x 750 x 750.

I won’t fill the water right to the top, probably to ¾ of the tank.

I will upload a photo after work today.

Doing water testing now...

IMG_2505.jpg

I found two 120cm light system on trademe. One is GLO T5 HO Linear Fluorescent Fixture 48" 122cm $240 and the other one is Hagen Glo Twin 54w T5 Ballast Lighting $120

What one is better for Cichlids tank? What is the difference beside the price....

Thanks for any input and help :bounce: :bounce: :hail::bow:

DIY LED.

hmm... I think Im really bad at DIY stuff...

I waste about $150 bucks on DIY 3D background and have to give it up...

Any perticular model? or type of light tubes?like T5 or Double Tube or Four tube light?

I think I will need a big one about 120 cm long and put it on tope of the tank..

hmm... I think Im really bad at DIY stuff...

I waste about $150 bucks on DIY 3D background and have to give it up...

Any perticular model? or type of light tubes?like T5 or Double Tube or Four tube light?

I think I will need a big one about 120 cm long and put it on tope of the tank..

LED gonna be very nice but a lot cash .. T5 or T8 would be good enough bro, or get 50w twice tubes ones will be enough to brighten the whole tank right down to the bottom.

LED gonna be very nice but a lot cash .. T5 or T8 would be good enough bro, or get 50w twice tubes ones will be enough to brighten the whole tank right down to the bottom.

I have a read below post. T8 is not efficient as T5. Im think to get a nice T5 setup.

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32844

How is your fish keeping business doing? :wink:

I finally gave up on my 3D background...what waste time and money :-? ....

Here is what my new tank in the dining room. Now it is doing water test :D

IMG_2505.jpg

If you can find a nice long retatively low light LED setup or someone to DIY you one you will get better light and use allot less power.. Otherwise T5's, just remember that you can put tons of light on and get your tank glowing but then you will battle algae.

New tank looks good too BTW! Not that there was anything wrong with the old one!

Fish don't need light so it's a matter of what makes them display nicely. I agree with all of the above re: LED - if you can afford it, get it. I believe kiwiplymouth got one dirt cheap from http://www.fish-street.com

If you wanna go the tube route, I like the power glo/daylight combo. Just make sure the wattage is enough for the depth of your tank which is a beauty by the way! :thup:

what is Hagen Glo T5?

I did some research and out there are a few different types of these GLO T5... Power GLO T5 and aqua Glo T5....

Are these just different band or the made of bulb is different?

After research it looks like to use 50/50 54w T5 is the best solution.

Im going to give it a go... :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: LOL

Power glo etc are the types of bulbs yes.

Some brands call the same thing different names.

The T5 units are sold new with no bulbs so you get to choose what you want.

I will possibly be setting up a bigger tank for my GT, JD and severum and I wont be going T5 as there wont be any plants to soak up the nitrate so I would have algae problems with strong light. That tank would have PL's or T8's.

Good luck! :)

A leak test??

Yep, so far so good. I asked greg to reinforced tank for me. So I should able to put my fish in after I sold my old tank.

Anyone interested to by my 760L tank... :wink:

Power glo etc are the types of bulbs yes.

Some brands call the same thing different names.

The T5 units are sold new with no bulbs so you get to choose what you want.

I will possibly be setting up a bigger tank for my GT, JD and severum and I wont be going T5 as there wont be any plants to soak up the nitrate so I would have algae problems with strong light. That tank would have PL's or T8's.

Good luck! :)

Thanks Karina. I did some research again last night. I think I got the basics now...

I bought a Hagen GLO T5 Twin 54w T5 Ballast Lighting it come with 2 marine blue bulbs. Even it is second hand but I think it can last for a while :D I bought two reflector for that two bulbs as well.

I am going to buy a power GLO white tube to put in the front and use one marine blue in the back.

As most cichlids forum recommend to use 50/50 (power white/marine blue) 54w T5 to give the best light contrast and reflect on cichlids. Especially blue, white, yellow color fish.

I will give it a go.... :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: