Power Heads and filters - Need them

Duke

Do you need to have PH sponges on PH's ?

They all have good guards etc but do they need the filters, thinking of having to clean them ?

I have a sump and looking at adding a second sump.

Also looking at a wave make and 4 x PH's for my 4ft tank.

Plus sump return.

yes, they can produce nitrates if they become clogged and are not cleaned. dont use them, they are (pretty much) pointless. its your skimmer and live rock that are your main sources of filtration. also water movement is what you want and the sponge will just reduce the flow.

Exactly, it is commonly believed that a filter has to be mucky to encourage the growth of nitrifying bacteria - wrong! If anything this can have the opposite effect with faster-growing heterotrophic bacteria competing for resources such as oxygen. There is also the possibility that many of the decomposition products from the breakdown of rotting organic matter may inhibit nitrifying bacteria, either by direct toxicity or creating a hostile microenvironment. In order to thrive, nitrifying bacteria only need a relatively clean environment with a steady supply of ammonia and oxygen.

ps: nice smiley!

How do they produce nitrate under anaerobic conditions?

Tank water is not an anaerobic place. There is plenty of oxygen in the water. There are micro environments created within the pores of live rock, and within biofilms which can be anaerobic, but the general tank is aerobic.

Your fish would suffocate otherwise.

I realise there is lots of oxygen in the tank water, but in comprison with something similar to that and a trickle type system, the trickle type system is going to house 20 times as much nitrobacter then the tank water.

In other words, the production of Nitrate from a small internal submersed powerhead filter, (If stupidly used for something else), will produce such a small fraction of nitrate IMO, that it would be barely noticeable on the grand scale of things when it comes to Nitrate production.

Whats the difference between the crap collecting in a sponge or between the cracks and gaps between rocks?

the difference is that if it between rock etc it will be utlised by worms, copepods,etc, sponges also reduce the water flow of power heads,

I sure it would be ok if you use a sponge once in a while to polish the water,

I realise there is lots of oxygen in the tank water, but in comprison with something similar to that and a trickle type system, the trickle type system is going to house 20 times as much nitrobacter then the tank water.

Depends whether oxygen is limiting or not. I'd say not, and that nitrite is.

Anyway it's not nitrobacter you are trying to avoid. It's the ammonia producing bacteria which break down the detritus. Once the ammonia is created, you've pretty much got to end up with nitrates.

I suppose there are two ways to look at it, convert detritus to nitrate as soon as possible making sure you have enough live rock to support the de-nitrification.

Or, remove as much crap as possible before it is broken down into ammonia and eventually nitrate, and have a smaller amount of live rock to process the nitrate which does get formed.

I run filter wool off and on. It does get very dirty very quickly (overnight) and needs replacing. I can't say I have ever noticed it making a difference but I see so much gunk collecting in it I can't help but think its helping. I have a tray over one of my overflows and can just add/remove at will, takes seconds so its not a big task.

Pie

I used to run a 10 micron filter material in my sump as a pre filter and the crap it collected was amazing.

Cant use it now as I have turned it into a refuge and it grows too much hair algae if I leave it in. (Fuge lights 24 hrs)

The good thing about this material is it is too thin to harbour nitrifying bacteria, so you can pull crap out without producing nitrate.

I have nowhere to use it now, but if anyone wants some PM me.

I got quite a bit left.

• 2 weeks later...