Laminators

Caryl

I am looking to buy an A3 laminator. Anybody got any pros and cons to look for or a brand or model they have found better than others?

I would like to hear from those speaking from experience please as I am quite capable of using Google (and have done so) to search price comparisons and reviews.

Looking in the lower end price bracket.

Warehouse Stationery have a Fellowes Cosmic A3 on special for $190 (usually $260) and Fellowes appears to be an excellent and popular brand.

The only one I have used is an Ibico - it is rather aged and I think the rollers are a bit cooked as it puts weird ripples through the last third of an A3 as it goes through and makes the black look patchy. It has a temperature dial that you have to set and the heat depends on the thickness of the laminating pouches. So if you are going to ask if you can have a test with one, take a really saturated black printout to see how it handles it.

One thing I have noticed is that you cannot impede the thing being laminated as it exits the machine or it will retain the curl/bend as it cools.

There are two types of laminators I've come across. The cheaper ones are pouch laminators so you get a pouch for the size you want done. I have a brother (A4) laminator that is okay, and it uses two continuous sheets of plastic which meant you can laminate almost continuously. But sometimes the automatic cutter gets triggered by a gap in the material :( And the plastic cartridges are relatively expensive. From memory it was a cost of $2-3 per A4 sheet if you used a whole cartridge.

For the amount of A3 laminating we did, it was easier and cheaper for us to just get it done downtown.