Breeding tropheus

trophy_malaw

Great news !! finally after months of trying, this morning i have noticed one of my Dubosi White Bands are holding! :happy1:

really realised you have to have water conditions absolutley perfect and good feeding. ALSO droped the temp. last 2nyt by 2 degree's and this is what i found this morning... so i guess that would be a contributing factor.

QUESTION.

Been using Seachem Cichlid Lake Salt and Seachem Tanganyika Buffer but going through a absolute shit load with initally setting it up and then water maintance. Who else in the community uses this stuff as its pretty dear in price and what are people using as alternatives?

I know of coral raising PH and limestone being able to be a buffer but have been told and cautioned not to solely rely on substrates and tend to agree i was never getting the same conditions out of my crush coral subsrate and tank full of dead coral as what i am getting now,

Well done :) those fish should have been breeding ages ago I am glad someone has got them started.. If it is her first hold don't expect her to go full term or to have many fry if she does but at least you know they are ready and happy.

Regarding the buffers I haven't noticed any good things with using them, for my altos I use baking soda and epsom salts there are buffer recipes on Cichlid forum on how to make them for a fraction of the cost.

awsome thanks for the heads up Ryan, i will search and see if i can find some recipes. time to get busy in the kitchen :bounce:

and yeah your right i really dont expect much from her, her mouth doesnt even look that full compared to my pembas and shes a decent size. Still i will sit and watch fasinated :spop: and see what comes of it.

do you know of many others that have white bands?

I got some sand from a local beach and washed it thoroughly then added it to one of my new african tanks. I was interested to see what difference it made to the PH so I did a before and after test. The first test was straight tap water added to the tank and the second was after adding the beach sand.

P1000760.jpg

I did a 50% water change the next day and tested again (sorry no photo) and the PH was sitting at about 8. I have since done a dozen or more water changes ranging from 30-50% on this tank and the PH is still holding around 8-8.2. I'm interested to know if the buffering the sand gives will reduce over time or not. If anyone has got any longer term hard data please share.

This seems like a very simple and cost effective way to buffer your PH and 8-8.2 would be a good range for Tangs.

QUESTION.

Been using Seachem Cichlid Lake Salt and Seachem Tanganyika Buffer but going through a absolute shit load with initally setting it up and then water maintance. Who else in the community uses this stuff as its pretty dear in price and what are people using as alternatives?

I know of coral raising PH and limestone being able to be a buffer but have been told and cautioned not to solely rely on substrates and tend to agree i was never getting the same conditions out of my crush coral subsrate and tank full of dead coral as what i am getting now,

Hi. I use 1 tsp of baking soda,

1 tsp of epsom salts and

1 tsp of standard non iodised salt

per 20L of water.

this keep s a constant ph of about 8-8.2, Kh13, Gh13. How ever i do have limestone in the tank which would help minimally with buffering.

Cichlid forum says 1 Tbl spoon of epsom salts. I found this was way too much for our water and put my GH of the charts. Cheers

i leave my water the way it is which is only around 7.4ph and no issues with producing fry. if you get it wrong you could loose fish so i choose to not use any chemicals. hmmm thinking about that, i wonder if that makes my fish organic haha :sml1: