Where can I get Hairgrass?

maxximuscool

Hairgrass can get messy, bits all grass floating round in the tank drove me insane, so I got rid of it.

Really? I saw the grass in the gravel and it is absolutely gorgeous to look at :) Love the hairy looking so I thought it would be nice with my tank. Now you got me a second thought.

Are you talking about Eleocharis acicularis? http://www.fnzas.org.nz/?p=798

It grows to different heights depending on tank conditions and needs a good deep substrate covered with fine to medium stones. I have had it grow to 140mm under high light, ferts and C02 and spread like a weed. In high light tanks without constant ferts and no C02 it grows shorter. The floating strand problem usually only occurs when you try and trim it like a lawn, but if you leave it for a while you can scoop it off with a fine fish net. In saying that there are still dehydrated and dead strands stuck to the top of the back of my tank, but they do not bother me.

And stupid fish like to hide in it when you traumatise them by taking the lid off the tank...

lampeye-grass.jpg

Looks like a lack of light/nutrients/CO²

Tons of light and ferts. :dunno: I've been dosing Flourish Excel instead of CO2 - quite high doses, too. It's only been in that tank 12 days.

Tweezers and patience, lot of muttering...

Oh and don't gravel vac!

Once it starts spreading in the substrate it should stay there.

Bugger, I was hoping there was some magic trick, as opposed to plain old hard work :roll:

Wise Call I think :wink:

Seems like too much work for little grass :)

By the way the sword plants are growing really fast in my tank. :) I already got like 4 new leaves and it is more darker green than when I first got it :)

Looks like it's loving my fry loads (lots of them fry lol). They are like a pooing machine.

Even my Anubias is growing shoots everywhere too. But narrow leaves java fern still growing slowly like it should be :)