possible worm problem please help

christian

i have noticed alot of my fish swimming near the top of the water and not looking to well . i notice a female bristle nose when she was on the glass had little red worms haging out her behind and then a few days later she was dead are there any ideas on how to get ride of this problem and r the worms really bad that they could be killing my fish thanks for trying to help

Your fish may have had worms (then again it may have just been poo hanging out - it can be different colours depending on what the fish has eaten) but there may also be other problems as well.

What size is the tank?

What filtration are you running?

How many fish are in the tank?

If the fish are gasping at the surface this indicates a lack of oxygen.

Have you done any water tests? What are the pH, nitrites, nitrates and ammonia levels?

The answers to these questions will enable us to help you more accurately.

BTW - welcome to the fishroom :D

Hi there thanks for your reply's so far .still no luck with any real reasons to the worms but hopefully soon . My tank has been set up i would say for about 10 months or abit more i do gravel cleans regularly but havent recently due to the amount of small bristle noses and guppie . My tank has plenty of oxygen running and also has lots of plants which help to creat oxegen . i have also check the tank for ph nitrate hard ness etc and all results have come back as perfect ph 7 nitrate 0 and hardness is about 150 ppm . so if u could help me any furture on this subject i would love to hear from you all cheers and thanks again for everyones help

Could you describe the red worms hanging out of your fish a bit more. size, appearance etc.

Sounds to me like it could be Camallanus nematodes. I have had problems with these worms in my fish before and yes they can kill your fish if they are badly infested.

Do any of your other fish appear to have the worms hanging out their behinds? If so you may need a treatment for round worms. The treatment I have used for this Levamisole HCl. See previous posts:

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?t=281

Hi agian thanks for your replys .the little worm that hang out the backs of some of the fish r very thin like a dark red in colour and r mainly seen on the fish when they r not really swimming u can see them rigling around when the fish is still ive notice a couple of my fish tonight have gone a bit beant looking and look very sick i think im going to have to flush them down the toilet bugger :(

Hi Christian,

Not really a good idea to flush down the loo. If they happen to live and get into the waterways they could cause a few probs one way or another.

It seems there are ways to deal with worms in fish, and here are some links.

CAMALLANUS ROUNDWORMS. CURES AND CONTACTS.

http://www.thekrib.com/Diseases/nematodes.html

http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/CamellanusTreatment.pdf

Len has written an article, contact here.

[email protected]

Regards,

Bill (Pegasus)