Help please to setup Co2 system on 430lt tank

karina

Diffusers aren't as efficient as reactors. Just saying, as you were worried about how long a bottle would last earlier on :)

No I wasn't worried just curious as havent set up a co2 system on a tank before.

Thanks for the help so far all :)

Have asked about the filter warranty with a reactor and told it is ok - on the outlet hose of course.

Has anyone used ubarns regulator on a hired boc gas bottle? I am told the boc fittings are different.

This has to be the most complex thing I have ever done in the hobby! :facepalm:

Have asked about the filter warranty with a reactor and told it is ok - on the outlet hose of course.

Has anyone used ubarns regulator on a hired boc gas bottle? I am told the boc fittings are different.

This has to be the most complex thing I have ever done in the hobby! :facepalm:

No one can comment on this? :(

Sorry - can't comment on the Ubarns reg, but fwiw, I have a BOC reg with a BOC rental cylinder. Downside is the monthly rental etc, upside is the peace of mind after each replacement. I think it's a 9.35kg cylinder. Last one lasted close to a year on my 270l planted tank. Pros and cons :-?

Thanks guys.

I have been looking at the diffusers and regulators that the person on ebay sells who you guys bought off. I can't make heads or tails about which diffuser or bubble counter is the best one for my size tank (430lt). Help please!! :-?

You could have a go at just making your own bubble counter?

I used:

Spice Jar

Air Tube

Dropper vial

Rubber for seals

Just bore a couple of holes (I used a reamer) in the jar lid but quite small so you have to really squeeze the air tube in. Insert the tubes into the lid, insert one tube into the dropper vial, fill with almond oil. Done. Hasn't missed a beat.

Oregano counter :thup:

IMG_0443.jpg

I can attach a solenoid into the line if i wanted (have one sitting here waiting) but i haven't got around to it. I'm one of those who are happy with CO2 24/7. To do it, i need to take the reg etc into a gas plumbing shop i've found locally who previously plumbed the needle valve in for me. They'd be able to do the same for the solenoid should i want to.

I'm surprised at BOC's comment about the regulator, but then i'm not sure which type you're after. If it helps, i've got a D sized food grade CO2 cylinder, with a BOC 6000 regulator. It feeds into a needle valve i found locally ages ago, but you could find heaps either on ebay or elsewhere on the web. The solenoid if wanted, would fit in between the reg and the needle valve. The tubing comes off the end of the needle valve and feeds into a bubble counter i purchased off ebay. The bubble counter has brass screw caps and a plastic jar. I made my own too once, but it looked unprofessional so i went for a bought one in the end :roll:

I built an inline reactor which hides underneath the stand. The CO2 line from the bubble counter feeds into near the top. The water outflow from the Eheim cannister filter flows into the top of the reactor, and water flow, enriched with CO2 flows out the bottom of the reactor back into the aquarium.

I'd recommend (if you haven't already) doing a search on pressurised CO2 aquariums and you'll find some good stuff. I'll post photos if you want of my setup but i've left the camera at work so it'll have to be next week if wanted... :roll:

Your wish is... :wink:

Here is the external setup, with the cylinder, regulator, needle valve and bubble counter stacked next to the tank:

IMG_1022a.jpg

A close up of the reg. and the needle valve (dial just tucked in behind the leaf) :facepalm: :

IMG_1024a.jpg

The bubble counter, with the brass screw caps:

IMG_1025a.jpg

The under the stand equipment, with the reactor plumbed into the Eheim filter. You'll notice the outflow from the filter goes into the top of the reactor, and the outflow from the bottom of the reactor then heads north to flow into the aquarium:

IMG_1026a.jpg

A close up of the home-made reactor, using pvc piping and some end pipes:

IMG_1029a.jpg

You can see in the photo above that the CO2 tubing (blue) is piped into near the top of the reactor. The water flow is from top to bottom in the reactor, so the CO2 bubbles are introduced into the water and are fighting to rise against the current. In doing so, the CO2 is dissolved into the water, which flows into the tank. You'll also notice a non-return valve in the CO2 line just before it joins the reactor.

And just a little chance to show off.... :roll: the tank as it stands tonight...

IMG_1034a.jpg