Cow Bones for BTS Tank

phrog

So I've got some old as cow bones that I collected when I was little and thought they would look so badass in my BTS enclosure. The only problem is that I don't know how to disinfect them so that there is nothing harmful on the bones (parasites, fungus etc) without using a disinfectant that would be harmful to my lizard. I don't know whether there is anything harmful already on the bones as they have been sitting in a box for years and years but thought it better to be safe then sorry.

Anyone got any ideas? They would be much appreciated thanks.

Ok so I forgot to mention I left them soaking in hot water overnight, and then put them through a brief stint in the oven. One jaw bone smelled so bad I had to throw it out. The others kinda smell but nowhere near as bad.

30/70 bleach/H20 solution overnight, then next 2 days & nights in clean water,

or better, sodium thiosulphate solution after the bleach bath. (I'm not sure where, or whether, this is available publicly)

there may be someone who has a better remedy... :thup:

I know for bone carving they say you boil it in bleach??

Ok cheers, will that be harmful to the Lizard though? Does the two days in water get rid of all bleach residue? I would imagine that the bones would soak up some of the bleach but not sure as to whether it can be washed out or not.

bleach will only penetrate as far as the water can, so realistically the two (or more if you feel like it,) days in clean water (change it when you remember) should remove most of it. Laws of diffusion and all that.

This is all theoretical, mind, and I haven't done such myself, just going on what I know from my experience in other things and what I've been told by others... :sage: