Cycling Tank - what have I done wrong?

Polwarth

Hi and welcome to the Fishroom.

There is some tank cycling info here: http://www.fnzas.org.nz/?p=1868/quote:1odeyoux

Have you read this article?

Nitrate should be showing some reading if your tank is cycled. If it was me I would be wary of adding fish to it with all readings sitting at 0. A huge water change may have undone all your previous work.

Based on the above, Phil was doing 20% water changes daily, but his ammonia levels were dropping twice as fast than expected from water dilution only indicating that nitrification was taking place. After a 90% water change, levels dropped to 0.25 ppm (possibly), and then after another day with no water change, it has dropped to 0. Nitrites are also 0, and he has plants consuming nitrates. Sounds like it is working fine. A huge water change is very unlikely to affect the filter bacteria unless it were chlorinated water.

Still, since this hasn't been going as expected, perhaps only stock it with a few fish and watch carefully to see what happens to the parameters.

Polwarth, I imagine by now you are very confused? There is not absolute tried and true 'recipe' for cycling a tank. Nor is fishless cycling a proven better method than any other. It is what you prefer to us.

If you start off by stocking your tank slowly, doing regular 25-30% water changes and waiting a good week before adding new fish, by taking readings regularly you will know if an issue with ammonia or nitrites is arising. If they start to build daily water changes of 25-30% are recommended to bring the levels back down.

I rarely test my tanks these days as I can tell by the way the fish are acting if the tank is out of whack as far as ammonia/nitrite/nitrate goes.

Hi all I have been watching the tank from the other side of the room for a couple of days, just to let it do its own thing before retesting.

So I have done the test and I have 7.4pH, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites BUT ....

The Nitrates appear to be slightly above 0 but not a match for the next colour (5.0ppm). So I am assuming that I have a positive test for Nitrates but I am not sure what the exact level is.

The Plan:

Buy a couple of algae eaters to do some cleaning, and to slowly stock the tank adding fish after the tank has time to settle.

Thanks again for all the advice.