Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

FW Puffer

Featured Replies

First, you'll need to narrow it down, what species are you talking about? Is it actually freshwater? Is it brackish? Is it freshwater when young and brackish when older? I believe brazillian puffers are the only true freshwater ones available in NZ, but there are a lot of brackish puffers sold as freshwater.

Are the community safe? etc?

cheers

Short story: No.

Long story: Maybe a little but no.

Puffers are deffinetly not a community fish, especially fresh water ones. They have been found in some cases to be able to live with shrimp and ottos but mine I used to have ate anything I dared put into their tank. I think the longest my one otto lived was till night time, and it could be, because I stood infront of the tank monitoring them all day long. The whole fish just dissapears over night, no bones, tailfins nothing is left :o Be very wary of brackish puffers as they tend to end up being completely marine saltwater puffers by adult stage. Puffers are known to have nipped and killed fish more than twice their sizes, so once again they are deffinetly NOT community :wink:

I have kept FW Dwarf puffers with BN, otto and bumblebee gobies with out any problems, they did have a go at a couple of guppies I put in there.

I think the tank size would make a difference. But not really community fish

i have a amazon puffer (Colomesus asellus) in with apistoes and rasboras however you won't find them in NZ anymore, from what i hear these guys are the exception to the rule of puffers having no tank mates.

IMG_7830.jpg

i have a amazon puffer (Colomesus asellus) in with apistoes and rasboras however you won't find them in NZ anymore, from what i hear these guys are the exception to the rule of puffers having no tank mates.

IMG_7830.jpg

I've had 4 total of them. They're not the exception. They're just not as bad as most. They will, still, quite happily bite out small fishes throats, bite off their tails, etc.

What do you mean you won't find them in NZ anymore?

Every DP has a different temperament. Some people get away with having other fish in a large heavily planted tank, but caution is most definitely required.

  • Author

Thanks for all the feedback

I was looking into getting some of the true SA puffers as there are 3 available to me.

Prob give them a miss at this stage.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.