February 21, 201214 yr comment_473256 Hi I'm looking to get one of these. Are the community safe? etc? cheers Report
February 21, 201214 yr comment_473260 First, you'll need to narrow it down, what species are you talking about? Is it actually freshwater? Is it brackish? Is it freshwater when young and brackish when older? I believe brazillian puffers are the only true freshwater ones available in NZ, but there are a lot of brackish puffers sold as freshwater. Are the community safe? etc? cheers Short story: No. Long story: Maybe a little but no. Report
February 21, 201214 yr comment_473265 Puffers are deffinetly not a community fish, especially fresh water ones. They have been found in some cases to be able to live with shrimp and ottos but mine I used to have ate anything I dared put into their tank. I think the longest my one otto lived was till night time, and it could be, because I stood infront of the tank monitoring them all day long. The whole fish just dissapears over night, no bones, tailfins nothing is left Be very wary of brackish puffers as they tend to end up being completely marine saltwater puffers by adult stage. Puffers are known to have nipped and killed fish more than twice their sizes, so once again they are deffinetly NOT community Report
February 21, 201214 yr comment_473267 I have kept FW Dwarf puffers with BN, otto and bumblebee gobies with out any problems, they did have a go at a couple of guppies I put in there. I think the tank size would make a difference. But not really community fish Report
February 21, 201214 yr comment_473278 i have a amazon puffer (Colomesus asellus) in with apistoes and rasboras however you won't find them in NZ anymore, from what i hear these guys are the exception to the rule of puffers having no tank mates. Report
February 21, 201214 yr comment_473280 i have a amazon puffer (Colomesus asellus) in with apistoes and rasboras however you won't find them in NZ anymore, from what i hear these guys are the exception to the rule of puffers having no tank mates. I've had 4 total of them. They're not the exception. They're just not as bad as most. They will, still, quite happily bite out small fishes throats, bite off their tails, etc. What do you mean you won't find them in NZ anymore? Report
February 21, 201214 yr comment_473282 Every DP has a different temperament. Some people get away with having other fish in a large heavily planted tank, but caution is most definitely required. Report
February 21, 201214 yr Author comment_473329 Thanks for all the feedback I was looking into getting some of the true SA puffers as there are 3 available to me. Prob give them a miss at this stage. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.