Marine IDs please

Caryl

Hi all. I have some pics from our club's tank parade but, as I am not a marine keeper, I cannot identify the foillowing fish, corals, enemones etc. Any help would be appreciated. Some pics will have 2 types of coral in them.

DSC06078.jpg

DSC06079.jpg

DSC06084.jpg

DSC06085.jpg

The round blue things

DSC06104.jpg

DSC06123.jpg

DSC06127.jpg

DSC06129.jpg

The anemone

DSC06134.jpg

IMG_9683.jpg

IMG_9689.jpg

IMG_9691.jpg

Any help would be appreciated :bow:

1) Brain Coral - favites spp or favia?

2) Ditto

3) Closed leather - Toadstool - Sarcophyton spp.

4) Pineapple coral - Caulastrea furcata

5) Mushrooms, zoos, and a piece of Euphilia.

6) Montipora Capricornis

7) Fish close to a Parazoanthus coral (i think)

8 ) Button Polyps - palythoa spp i think

9) Spine cheek or maroon Clown in an anenome

10) Sailfin Tang

11) humbug Damsel

12) Yellow Polyps - Parazoanthus gracilis

My best guess's anyway.

1 brain coral with red mushrooms underneath and zoanthids to the left

3 looks like hairy mushrooms in the background

4 green candycane on right , zoanthids to left

5 blue mushrooms , zoanthids and other mushrooms fish is yellow tailed blue damsel(Chrysiptera parasema)

far bottom hammer coral? -Euphyllia species

6 torch coral above plating montipora fish is blue or green chromis,Chromis viridis

8 finger leather and zoanthids asterina star fish visible on far right middle

9dont know what anemone that is but the fish are blue tang (Paracanthurus hepatus), yellow tang (Zebrasoma flavescens)

maroon clown (Premnas biaculeatus) and green manderin i think (Synchiropus splendidus)

• 4 weeks later...

DSC06091.jpg

Cleaner Wrasse, Labroides dimidiatus and Copperband Butterflyfish, Chelmon rostratus.

The coral that has the 'brain' look is a Favia sp. I think, and the green grassy ones are green star polyps. There are three very similar-looking species so I'm not sure of the latin name.

Here's a pic off the net :D

NanoDec4_07g.jpg

Looks like the stuff in Caryl's photo - green stalk thingies with purple blobs on the end. Still doesn't mean it definately is, but from what I can see it is most likely a hammer coral. Caryl do you have a larger pic or a close-up of it?

wow you know a lot for someone who doesn't do marine :thup:

I spend hours every week trolling through forums and looking at all aspects of reefkeeping as I would really like to get a reef. Particularly love of Nano-Reef.com :thup: I am no expert on the hobby, but I have an idea of the path I would take if I was to get a tank and I am becoming familier with some of the different corals and I have a list of the ones I would want to keep. The only thing stopping me from getting a reef tank is the initial cost of the setup and also the fact that I don't have a job and I'm earning bugger all money. Hopefully if I breed the Apistos in my biotope tank I might be able to raise a bit of cash... Also though I still need to buy a new main tank for my freshwater fish as I cracked the last one so I'm currently borrowing somebody's spare tank.

The stalk/base is typical of multiple species in the Euphyllia genus, and yeah. I think I'd go with a small frogspawn coral. - Euphyllia paradivisia

The stalk in the picture I linked is probably green with just algae and other marine growth. The frogspawn frag I had looked just like the one you're trying to identify.