fish for high pH water

Sophia

My Dad's water comes out of the tap at 10.7 pH - are there any fish other than cichlids that tolerate or like that sort of water?

Wow, you sure about that? That would kill pretty much anything. I'm not even sure that would be considered drinkable still.

The inlaws kettle in Kent had big chunks of what I can only assume was limescale clunking around in the bottom of it from boiling the hard water for a billion cups of tea a day. Many LFS's there sell RO water by the litre so that could be an easy way to soften it up if its too hard.

He may be confusing pH with the German GH/KH. That pH would be like caustic soda or drain cleaner. In many places their drinking water is extremely hard. In Christchurch we have people breeding neons and other tetras in tap water which over there would be regarded as very soft.

Should buy shares in a soap factory over there.

Wow, you sure about that? That would kill pretty much anything. I'm not even sure that would be considered drinkable still.

:sage: well they say lake horowhenua water is toxic enough to kill a child

I'd have to agree with alanmin here I dot believe it would be safe to drink and he may be getting them mixed up, Sophia maybe you could ask him again?

It bugs me that people use GH/KH in NZ. If you get a chemical analysis done here the hardness comes back on the report as mg/litre expressed as calcium carbonate. This is ppm w/v--which would probably annoy any real chemists out there. Tap water in Christchurch is about 45ppm which is about 2.5 KH and would be about 1/4 of the figure you quote.