Guinea Pigs

ally07

Hi all!

Sooo, the wife wants something small and cuddly but because we are renting, there's a no dog policy. As a trade-off, I agreed to a guinea pig. But before we rush out to get one, I want to find out if they will survive in a garden shed. I know that guinea pigs don't smell like strawberries, so I don't want to abuse the landlord's trust by bringing them into the house. We have a garden shed which has ventilation but without being drafty. At the moment, the temperature in the shed drops to about 16 deg C at night. I'm just worried about winter.

Any help/ advice is appreciated, thanks.

Hi all!

Sooo, the wife wants something small and cuddly but because we are renting, there's a no dog policy.

There's this new species of pet that's starting to get pretty common, they're known as Felis silvestris catus and come in huge variety of types ranging from small, fluffy and cuddly to large and cuddly. They sound like they should meet your requirements.

There's this new species of pet that's starting to get pretty common, they're known as Felis silvestris catus and come in huge variety of types ranging from small, fluffy and cuddly to large and cuddly. They sound like they should meet your requirements.

Guinea Pigs are evil :evil: they should have tails, but they dont :nilly:

Regardless, a guinea pig is probably less mess than a kitten.

Wow, really? So just on the deck in their cage? I read online that they can't be kept in a drafty spot otherwise they get respiratory problems lol.

I had a partly covered wooden enclosure as well so they had space to roam, and some protection from the elements. You'll need a subscription to the NZ Herald as well.

I actually googled it.. :facepalm:

Over.my.dead.body! Sorry, but my pet list goes:

1. Fish

2. Dog

3. Anything but Felis silvestris catus (!)

I never noticed guinea pigs smell particularly. We kept ours outside in a large run with a wooden house at one end and it gets to -4 or more here in winter. We also kept some in the bottom of our bird aviary. They have fur - 16C isn't that cold.

A better choice than rats or mice :thup:

I have read up on Chinchillas and they look like a lot of work if you want to do more than just watch them sleep in a cage. There are people who have exercise rooms for them and they clamber about all over the place looking furry and cute. Such plush fur though, and the babies are so cute :love: