Finding/catching mosquito larvae.

zeebee

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have lots at the moment in my trough/pond and have had enough through winter to feed a few once a week.

They like all sorts of water if you go by the different states of the troughs at Cornwall Park. The first lot I hatched lived in pretty stagnant vege cooking water before even they got stunk out.

Have wrigglers in Wgton. I put out a plastic box earlier last year for the chooks to get fresh water ... and now it has leaves and other stuff in it including duckweed with the long root systems ...maybe 4cm. Have some pond snails which hitched a ride with the duckweed. Interestingly I don't see any algae on the sides of the box. I noticed some wrigglers there end of last year and have been harvesting a few each day for the WCMM, and now for the very choosy angelfish that refuse flake :(

I see that the recommended method is to pour from one bucket to another thru a brine net but that would catch all the leaves, snails and duckweed, so I use a turkey baster to suck them out .... very time consuming!

Make sure you have a piece of wood or something floating that the Mossies can land o to lay their eggs.

They cannot land directly on the water. You will know if you are laying as you will see little floating black bits that look like ash. They are the egg rafts. I collect these and raise them in jars. That way I can grade the sizes and feed out as required.

the rafts are black to start with I think, then they go brown like bits of leaf. As the eggs hatch they break up so you might only find bits of them about

if you search for a thread called Mosquito Larvae 2010 or such like you will find some photos as I posted some when I first discovered some in my trough

Simon, my bugs don't have anything to land on, though they can land on the sides of the trough and put their bottoms in the water??

I'd like to see a reference to support that statement. This link http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/30558 says mosquito feet can repel water with a force of 600 µN – roughly 23 times the mosquito's body weight – before breaking the surface. So, using another surface to land on seems redundant.

Look its not a contest to see who can out research each other. Every post you seem to try to outdo people with scientific mumbo jumbo. Does not really make me want to help you with your untold questions you ask.

I simply say this as you will find that the mossies will lay more eggs if you have something for them to land on.

Yes they may be able to walk on water but if there is something on the water surface to land on then they will most likely do so.

I do agree with Simon. More places to land... more eggs. And GrahamC.... Just sieve through the info off here that you find usefull. Simon is a very experienced member here. Test it for yourself... One with nothing to land on and one with something.... then you be the judge.

Seems reasonable ... more surface material, more potential food for the larvae.

I'm trying to rapidly upskill myself in this area so I don't lose any more fish ... providing citations so I can check back on these threads later on. If this is against board etiquette I didn't know.

Woww didnt know mosquito larvae was such a technical discussion :sml1:

Its not really unless you make it such.

Just a bucket or container filled with aged water, throw in a few leaves and or grass clippings, float some small bits of drift wood or similar ( drift wood adds tannins which the mossies like)

Leave if for a week or so then keep an eye out for egg rafts.

4141-49768.jpg

image borrowed from mother google

These will then slowly get smaller as the eggs hatch and you should begin to see the larvae wriggling. Depending on the size you need as to how long you leave them before harvesting. As mentioned above, I sometime take the eggs inside in a jar of the water and hatch them inside, The newly hatched larvae are great for fry.