Neolamprologus Brichardi

fishy-fish

I just watched an auction close on trademe for a Lyretail Brichardi breeding group of 6 adults and 3 groups of fry they'd produced (30+ fry), and they all sold for $50. It was a $1 reserve from a pet store. I don't know a lot about this species, but that seemed pretty cheap. Is this not a popular species for hobbiests? From what I can gather, they are quite peaceful and I think quite beautiful dispite their basic colour. So whats the story with these tangs? Did someone just get a ripping great deal or are they the "convicts" of the tang world?

• 1 month later...

from what i have seen they seem to spit there young much earlier which seem to just hang around the parents not seek refuge in the coral like all the africans i keep then beat up anyone who swims near. ive seen a 4cm brichardi in a mixed overstocked african tank taking on 12cm auratus, pretty staunch fish

yeah I agree Lynda, they are beautiful fish. Shame the don't mix in a Malawi community.

I have just procured a breeding group of Cobolt Blue Zebras (Metriaclima Callainos) and Psuedotropheus Aurora.

Some aurora would look great in your tank!

These are the rats of the fish world. I started with 2 in my 800L tanganikan community, they have bred & bred & bred, and ended up controlling 80% of the tank with all my large frontosas pressed against the glass at one end.

They are the most aggressive fish I have ever dealt with. I have spent months slowly catching them and culling them and still they breed and attack my other fish.

I would think very carefully about introducing them with any other fish, definately best in their own species tank where they can beat each other to death without harming other inhabitants.

They are also very hard to catch, learn very quickly what a fish trap is and will hide in tiny holes and rock mounds.

beware!!

Joanne