Filter mat

JaSa

Hi

Does anyone knows where to get these filter mats (cheap) from? CLICK

System works really great and I need a few pieces of 30cm x 30cm for a couple of more tanks.

Got a sheet from World Of Water in Hamilton the other day but it was very expensive...

Cheers,

JaSa

Hi

Yeah, basically the water flows very slowly through the filter mat, into the pipe und back into the tank because the air in the pipe takes water with it. If you use the propper TLH it es very quiet and you dont have the problem that feed (artemia), fry or little shrimp (not allowed in NZ, aaah :( ) get sucked into the filter. Another good point is, that because it is a really slow flowing rate + big area in the mat + heaps of oxigen through the TLH, bacteria have time to do their magic.

Had this system in all my tanks back in germany and never had to clean it for month. Don't agree with years but I was breeding fish and therefor had a fair bit of them in the tanks. Do a water change every 14 days and it's all good. Had 60x30x30 tanks and had one side (30x30 area) covered with a mat and one TLH running.

Cubes and all the new versions are not that good in my eyes. Too small, to loud, to fast flow, ... If a system reaches a perfect stage, everything you change will make it worse. Same here. Stick to the mat, get your amount of air right for the tank size and all the rest will be perfect :)

@Sophia:

Para Rubber you recon? Up here means Auckland, right?

Anything in Hailton by chance?

Cheers,

JaSa

I found this site an informative source of information on the different types of sponges and why you need to avoid cheap knock offs due to poor filtration, and rapid clogging. http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/sponge_filtration.html

Of course it could all be pseudo-science so if someone can do some controlled comparisons ....

I'm not that into sponges to want to read all of that but The German stuff is really good, it cleans easily, doesn't fall to pieces, and works for ages without having to clean it. I don't know about the para rubber stuff, hopefully someone on here that has used it can share their thoughts.