Fishroom temperature

rcon021

Finallly finished my fish room.

Rather than heating individual tanks I wanted to heat the whole room and want to know how others are doing it? This woul be better since I can keep a close eye on it and it's cost effective.

Also what temperature are you maintaining the room at?

Thanks for the help

I use fluro tubes for light and I have an air compressor in my room ( that I am thinking about relocating outside the room).

I have floor to ceiling tanks and there is certainly a temp gradient.

I run a couple (2-3) heaters in individual tanks (fry/Discus/tanks with specialty fish) otherwise I use a 1 kw fan heater on the floor at one end of my room and thsi keeps my water at head height at 25 deg.

I would recomend a dehymidifer as dry air is easier to heat and when I was running one of those in my room odour was less and so was my power bill.

Cost will depend on insulation and I have also in the last few months lined the roof of my room with Black polyethyne to get some sort of solar gain

Some air movement is gained from the fan heater which I think is a benifit but may also cause flash off of some water? Not sure if it is enough to matter.

HTH

Nav

Assuming that the room is very well insulated (priority one) and your tanks are up to the temperature you want, It will not take much heat to maintain the air temperature and hence the tank temperature. The greater the volume of water you have ,the greature the heat sink you have. When I was breeding heaps of fish The ammonia in the air became a problem so once or twice a day, while working in the room, I used to leave the door open for a while to get an air change. It does not take much heat to get the air back up to temperature. Serious breeders and importers generally load their fish tanks up to the max to reach an economy of scale. Can be risky but profitable. Your overheads in a fish house are about the same for 100 or 10000 fish.

Just curious... but how many tanks do you have, how many 50-300W heaters would you need if heating each tank individually?

And what contingency plan do you have for a power failure in the middle of winter? My guess is that in tank heaters would be able to restore the heat to each tank much faster than by heating the entire room ...

A flued gas heater will vent emissions to the outside so minimal risk for CO poisoning. I very much doubt a standard fish room can be made airtight to cause O2 depletion to the point of hypoxia given we also now have a flue. And since water has 4 ppm of dissolved O2, and air has 200 ppm, there's a 2 factors of safety before the fish succumb to anoxia. But you could leave a candle in the room to check :smln: