testing water

nudge

I currently use the api test strips to test my water every couple of weeks for my own peace of mind. I think they are kinda rubbish and hard to read. So i need to upgrade, was looking at the api master test kits that do ammonia, ph, nitrite and nitrate.

Am wondering if i would be better off getting a gh/kh test kit and a nitate test kit instead. From what i understand gh/kh help to balance the ph and nitrate will tell me will tell me what condition the water is in.

What does everyone else use?

I don't really test the tanks I look after (my own, and a local school and kindy). Unless something goes wrong, I know if I don't overfeed, look after the filters and do a water change none of the fish are especially "precious".

You could try a once-a-month test if a local pet store does them free? Personally I would just test ammonia/nitrite if I was concerned, and KH/PH if I had difficult fish or plants. Otherwise, if you really do have hardy cichlids, don't worry about it.

I'll let someone else give you another opinion...

Hi I use the API master kit and a Kh/GH hardness kit. I think you need to test your water at least for piece of mind if nothing else. Its reasonably important to have your Kh (carbonate) at a good level to stabilise your PH. Level of PH isnt really as critical as the stability.

I think you should have both kits, no doubt you'll use them all at some stage.

Upuntill this monday I had never tested any of my tanks, but I saw an API master testkit on special so I grabed it.

I now have conformation that my main tank is in a mini cycle after a complete teardown and move - something I new anyway.

I did want to keep an eye on my big tank as I always have cyanobacteria (blue/green algee) in there. It is mostly unplanted though.

What intrested me the most was that there is a large difference in ph between my two main tanks when I thought that they would be both would be about 6.6 - 6.8

The main tank is at a low 6.4 and the small torrie/bullie tank is at a very high 7.6 - both have driftwood and a sand/pebble substrate :dunno:

Upuntill this monday I had never tested any of my tanks, but I saw an API master testkit on special so I grabed it.

I now have conformation that my main tank is in a mini cycle after a complete teardown and move - something I new anyway.

I did want to keep an eye on my big tank as I always have cyanobacteria (blue/green algee) in there. It is mostly unplanted though.

What intrested me the most was that there is a large difference in ph between my two main tanks when I thought that they would be both would be about 6.6 - 6.8

The main tank is at a low 6.4 and the small torrie/bullie tank is at a very high 7.6 - both have driftwood and a sand/pebble substrate :dunno:

could be plenty of reasons. amount of driftwood, nitrates, added salts? the main thing is that the Ph is stable. (carbonate levels)