Joe's 140L Amazon Blackwater Biotope Journal

Joe

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are my plans for the tank in the future (in no particular order):

- Get some alder cones, bogwood and beech and Indian almond leaves

- Collect some oak leaves in autumn (I have found a great spot where there are lots of oaks and the ground is really dry and clean so the leaves won't get dirty)

- Make a rainwater collecting system

- Get pH, GH, KH, NH4, NO2, NO3 and PO4 test kits

- Add some more gravel (I don't think it is quite deep enough)

- Get an inline heater

- Get a hook-on thermometer

- Put a black backdrop on the back

- Suspend the light closer to the surface

- Glass filter pipes and clear tubing maybe?

freakin badass man!

any algae showing up with that monster light?

you should deffinately get an inline heater the current one looks well distracting.

good luck with the fry....

please let me know if you have apistos for sale at any time as i am super keen.

i have been keeping fish for around 2 years and have seen 1 apisto for sale in nelson..

i have my restricted now so ill drive over to blenheim.

Thanks guys!

any algae showing up with that monster light?

No algae so far...

you should deffinately get an inline heater the current one looks well distracting.

Yes I really want an inline heater, but I have been unable to get hold of one. I have found many websites in the UK that sell them, but only one place will ship to NZ. It was this site here - http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/ We don't have an overseas credit card so I asked Caryl and Grant if they could order it for me, and AquaEssentials said they had to create an account on their website. They tried but something wasn't working so they contacted the website for help and AquaEssentials never replied.

please let me know if you have apistos for sale at any time as i am super keen.

Yep will do :) They'll look great in your Amazon riparium.

If the fish have fry then they will be sucked up and burnt against the heater. I am planning on building a DIY double sponge filter for the inlet of the filter so the fry can feed on the microorganisms and also of course so they don't get sucked up.

Yes of course I never thought of a mirror! Great idea :hail: I'll try and find one this week (we don't actually have any small mirrors so I'll need to go out and buy one :) ).

It's not that the male hides... in fact quite the opposite. He is always at the very back of the tank in the open where there aren't any leaves. I put some worms out in the very front of the tank (where I photographed the female) and chased him around the front with a small net, and he nibbled at a couple of worms and just swam to the back of the tank and started flaring at a female :facepalm:

Hey Danval I decided to use a makeup mirror for the male fish, which I have propped up against the glass on the outside of the tank. I originally discarded the idea of using it when you suggested a mirror because its design wouldn't look very nice in a photo but then it just occurred to me that it would be fine if it was outside the tank so the fish can still flare at it but it won't be in the photo :thup: