New Plymouth Visit

purplecatfish

I've got a couple of nights in New Plymouth coming up in the New Year, and I'm wondering on the best things to do in town/ in the region besides Pukekura Park. I've got my son with me and we're both interested in nature walks, beaches, native fish and diving. I was also wondering about a drive up Mt Taranaki...

Any advice or ideas?

You could walk the Foreshore - goes the length of NP now. Also Puke Ariki (museum) is worth a look, and free. You could drive around the mountain - would take about 2.5 hours driving time through little towns like Stratford, Opunake etc. Plenty of places to stop.

A drive up Mt Taranaki...probably go up to the Egmont Visitor Centre, some good views IF you get a fine day. There's a few walks which start from there. If you go up the Stratford side on a fine day you can see Ruapehu. Inglewood Toy Museum or Pioneer Village Stratford could interest you. The main info centre is in Puke Ariki, so that is worth checking out first.

Happy holidays.

There are lots of streams running through New Plymouth, the one I know best is Te Henui, which runs past the cemetery (also excellent to explore, some very very old areas) and has lots of nice native bush areas. Take some strong torches and go spotlighting for native fish in the stream, and turn off the torches to see the hordes of glow worms on the banks beside the track :)

At low tide there are some nice rockpool areas, great fun to explore.

I love New Plymouth.