has anyone dealt with a dog with megaesophagus (urgent)

jackp

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he was on antibiotics for the pneumonia (which would probably have been rough on his stomach) and several different pills to help him move the fluid from his lungs.

Even if you think it's a slim chance that there is hope, then it's worth giving it a go. As you said death is pretty darn final, and as long as he isn't suffering terribly, then I don't see why death can't wait. You should be able to feel sure you are doing the right thing at the right time, and it's not exactly hard (in terms of booking a vet etc.) if you need to change your mind again. If it doesn't feel right, then don't do it, just try and be prepared to do it when it does finally get to the point where it feels like it's time.

quick update, bruce threw up a bit during the night, and his cough (pneumonia related) seems to be coming back. i'm not sure what i should do at this juncture, which means i will be holding off on having him put to sleep (that's not happening until i'm pretty damn certain). yes he's skinny and there is no real indication that he will be able to take on food properly again, but he is still pretty happy and certainly not in any distress. for now i will persevere with what i'm doing and hope for the best. my gut feeling is that i am just postponing the inevitable, but then my gut aint no veterinarian and he's beaten the odds before.

bruces gains were short lived. i think his body was just reacting to getting a slightly larger energy intake. i've just got home from work and talked to the people renting the other end of the house. they said that bruce collapsed a couple of times this morning and found it dificult to stand up again. he is better now, but his back legs tremble if he has to stand for too long. he still looks happy and greets me with a wagging tail and smiling face, but that's just bruce being bruce. the reality is his body is starting to fail him because he's not getting the nutrition he needs. if i drag it out he will suffer and he deserves better than that. i do not own him, he is not my possesion. i am merely responsible for his wellbeing. this means i have to be responsible in the choices i make for him. he has been an amazing friend and companion and as such i have to be the same for him. this is the hardest decision i've ever had to make, but i know it is the right one. i have done the best i could for him from the day i got him, and that has to be the case now.

we have been through a lot together in the last 4 1/2 years. when i almost cut my fingers off with a skill saw and spent 6 months recovering, bruce was by my side. when my father was diagnosed with terminal cancer and i struggled through his final 8 months, bruce was at my side. when i battled through depression and life seemed so dark and difficult, bruce was at my side. every effort i have made for him has been in repayment for what he has done for me. the thought of him not being there is devastating, but when the pain is gone i will still have the memories, bruces gift to me.

Sending hugs to the both of you. Know that we are here thinking of you and Bruce. Even though it's incredibly sad what you both have to go through, it's fantastic to see how much you love Bruce, and how you've been there for him through all of this. I'm sure he knows it too. So even if his life is shorter than what you both would have hoped for, seeing how happy he looked in those photos you took, I think he must have had a pretty good life.

Found this...

Too good not to share...

"Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found that he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything more for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. The young boy, Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition wihout any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a long while after Belker's Death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.

Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why."

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation. It has changed the way I try to live.

He said, "People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?"

The Six-year-old continued, "Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."

Bruce passed away peacefully. We were sitting in the sun in the lounge at my mothers house, his head on my lap. I buried him just down the hill from the house amongst the fruit trees. While I am sad, there is also relief that he is no longer suffering and battling to stay alive. He was a friend when I really needed one and will always be in my memories. Thank you everyone for all your support through this tough time, it meant a lot just knowing that there were people thinking of us. While today is certainly sad, it was not nearly as bad as I was dreading and I think the fact that I have been expecting this for so long makes it that much easier to cope with. Dealing with Bruces condition has been very hard at times, but I feel certain that I offered him the best life I could have and gave him the best death possible. I guess we both got lucky that day I brought him home.

I must be a bit of a loopo (a bit?), I'm having a sniffle over someone else's dog &c:ry .... it's good he isn't suffering anymore though. Admittedly he probably didn't know any better or really know what was going on with him, after all he'd been through and he still went for your chilli haha :slfg: Dogs are cool.

Must be those onions that Cricketman keeps chopping up and putting on the board Sophia &c:ry

A dog could not want for a better friend and companion Jack - now where are those blimmin tissues?

I hope you didn't drink so much that you are incapable of reading this for a couple of days.

I know how you feel having had to put our much loved golden retreiver down on 4 January. She went down hill so fast we only had two hours warning. Even now it still brings tears to my eyes.

You did your best for him, right to the end. Time is a great healer they say, so take it one day at a time.

*BIG HUG*

You did what was best for Bruce. You gave him so much love and tried so hard to save him, I have no doubt he knew that...dogs know when they are loved!!

It was unfortunate (for the lack of a better term) that Bruce had this horrible disease...but he was given an amazing, loving, owner!!

I hope that you will consider blessing another dog with your love, when you are ready!

Take care,

Dolorosa (a.k.a. Caper) &c:ry

haha, Ryan came round with his kids as well, so we were very restrained. It was actually pretty cool having kids laughing and playing in the house. They all stayed the night and in the morning I took the kids around the farm on the ride on lawn mower. They got to see a couple of lambs (mum must have let the ram in way to early as we have to lambs that are about a month old) and feed the chickens. It was pretty cool really (even if andy didn't get to sit on my knee and go for a ride).

I have found some nice photos of bruce and will put them up once I figure out how to get them off my phone. As for getting another dog, it is a certainty, but probably not for a year or two. I am not too sure what I'm doing with my life at the moment and will wait till I am more settled. My mother will be back from England at the end of July and I am sure she will get a puppy (probably a collie) so I will be able to steal her dog as she did mine.