looking at starting a marine tank help needed

zuri08

i already have filters lights etc

but what do i need to have just a basic saltwater tank i have external filters or can have a sump

i just want some corals and 2 clowns

can i use the manukau harbors water as thats the closest place for saltwater to me

i have a spare 200litre tank and want to try this saltwater out

any advise would be great i just would like a list of exactly what i would need

A 200L tank sounds perfect, good size. May also allow for maybe a smaller tang eg : Scopas.. It sounds like you'll have most of what you need already, not too sure about the Manukau harbor NSW question, i've never collected NSW. One thing I would highly reccomend is getting an overflow on that tank and having a sump if you didn't have so already. You won't regret having a protein skimmer!

the best thing you can do if your able to have a sump is buy a decent skimmer rather than the external canisters.

get a couple of decent t5's as you'll need them at a minimum if you want to keep corals, and a pump or two for flow.

start off with the easy soft corals and do lots of research before making any impulse purchases

research, research research, then ask lots of questions :thup:

A skimmer is a must. I'd be concerned about water quality inside the Manukau but that's just a hunch not anything based on science. You'll want to change about 20-30L a week for a 200L tank (+sump) so it'd be good to know you could get that easily.

Other than that it sounds like you're all set.

what about if i get existting water etc from a friend and then add in my corals with filter media etc from him so basically reusing his tank water and creating a new enviroment?

I guess you could but it may be quite dirty, i suggest getting a bag or bucket of salt of the net and making your own ASW.

The filter media in a saltwater case is the live rock. You'll want about 20KGs for a 200L tank and if you can get that much and it comes with the water already cycled with it and you've got a skimmer and the lights to look after whatever corals you're having then you can start on day 1 but chances are you'll still trigger a mini cycle so hold off on adding fish for a few weeks/months.

I made the mistake of adding fish with a anemone (actually, a splitting one so now have 2 anemone) to 6 month cycled live rock with original water (essentially what you're suggesting) and I've been doing daily 10L water changes for the last 4 weeks. I've got my fingers crossed that I'm not going to lose the nems but it could still go either way. The fish and corals are really happy. I'm living proof that patience is a good idea. I invested in a RO-DI filter unit and make my own ASW as I got sick of driving to the beach every day.

I would use the 200L tank as a sump

Buy/build a 500mm cube

Buy a PAR bulb (RapidLED.com)

Buy live rock off someone on the forum so you dont have to wait months (put most in sump)

Take the water to the local fish shop to test, once no nitrates, ammonia, nitrates buy 2 clown fish. Dont waste money on test kits yet.

No substrate to start with (cheaper, easier to clean and you can add this later)

Buy micron filter sock to polish water, they are reusable and very cheap (about $10)

Buy a skimmer of TradeMe

Buy heater off trademe

Use Natural Sea Water to start with

x1 power head for display tank

x1 return pump from sump

About 3m of tube

Bulk head fittings in/out

Mitre 10 - 20L water storage drums x2 for collecting water

PVC pipe for in/out overflow etc

Buy RODI/Salt later when you are over going to the sea every 2 weeks

You can build a cost effective system this way.

After a few months then get corals.

The most expensive part will be the display tank with bulkhead fittings, pvc etc.

The next big cost is RODI later on, if you go that direction.

Also put a glass lid on the sump to help reduce evaporation. Also I would buy RODI water off someone and put in a 10L

and drip feed it into sump to offset the evaporation. Cheaper to buy RODI water than an actual RODI system.

My thoughts anyway.