how to breed and sex whistling tree frogs?

Insectile

first of all i have two whistlers aged about 1 years old. i know that at least one of them is male because i have seen just after and heard him call. they are quite big, about 3.5 cms and well fed. I know they are still probably too young to breed but i was wanting to get some info so i know the basics when they are. also they might be related because the lady i bought them of as tadpoles has a small pond and just ends up with hundreds of tadpoles in there every year. so i am also aware of that. so yeah was just wondering if they are old enough and how to encourage them to breed if anyone has some tips. any help would be appreciated. thanks matt

first of all i have two whistlers aged about 1 years old. i know that at least one of them is male because i have seen just after and heard him call. they are quite big, about 3.5 cms and well fed. I know they are still probably too young to breed but i was wanting to get some info so i know the basics when they are. also they might be related because the lady i bought them of as tadpoles has a small pond and just ends up with hundreds of tadpoles in there every year. so i am also aware of that. so yeah was just wondering if they are old enough and how to encourage them to breed if anyone has some tips. any help would be appreciated. thanks matt

wine n candlelight? or another season......

Hi

I don't think you'd cut it with two. I don't think you can definitively sex whistlers apart from males whistle. Maybe start with 20 chuck them in a pond with some oxygen weed and othe rplants and let the breed, just make sure the pond is free from predators.

HTH

hey there squirt, i actually have about thirty or so more recently morphed ones that im growing at the mo :) , i have also been thinking about building an enclosed pond, sort of like a large terrarium, out of plywood. i could just throw them in that if i build it and see waht happens?

Yeah,

I was thinking, only thinking, about breeding them. There's not much info on the net about them (breeding). Have lots of live food for them. I hear they breed around autumn? And then the eggs hatch when it warms up in spring? Not sure about it though.

A chap I used to work for had some, and over time they escaped. Now there seems to a small breeding population... Their call is a pleasant change from the call of the Bell frog...

http://frogsaustralia.net.au/frogs/calls/wma/litoria_verreauxii_verreauxii.wma

The guy I worked for had built a large outdoor enclosure but am not sure whether they actually bred in there....

• 2 weeks later...