Fungal infection of pond fish

cryancondor

Hi there,

I have a 700L pond with an array of goldfish and plants (ranunculus x2, water iris and lily) and I beleive one of my fantails has a fungal infection. He has .5cm white spots on his tail and has started to behave weird - he sits under the waterfall all day. I was recommended wunder tonic but I've heard it can burn plants which i'm not too keen about! I have also heard that pond 'melafix' is good but it's almost $70.... pushing the budget!

Any ideas? Thought about taking either the fish (or plants) out of pond are treating fish by them self but I don't really have anything to put them in!!! I'd prefer another treatment that is hassle free!

Thanks in advance!!!

Fungal infections are often oportunistic and will follow a bacterial infection of damage (often caused in goldfish by mating at this time of year.) Wunder tonic contains a number of ingredients that are good for controlling parasites, bacterial infectons and fungal infections. I would use that and treat the whole pond if that is economical, or remove the infected fish and treat in a smaller container.

hmmm hard to say whether or not that is an infection how long have those spots been there?does it eat normally around this time goldfish will be acting weird because its spawining time for them what i think you should do is remove the plants and treat the whole pond that should kill any infections and remove the risk of contamination.i use to be a goldfish breeder btw.its hard with goldfish becasue they are very sensitive fish in some ways especially to infections try get some pic of its tail up close if you can

I would be tempted to remove the fish and treat it separately, if no other fish are affected then it might be a one off, you are aware of the issues so you can monitor the pond carefully and if any other fish become sick you can treat the whole thing. It also gives you a control fish to test your medicine out on - if you treat it and it doesn't get better then the other fish get sick you know not to try that treatment on the remaining fish and can look at other avenues. Having it in a tank would also give you the ability to have a really good look at the fish get some good pics etc and monitor its progress. Just my 2c worth.

Thanks for your replies. Spots have been there for a week or so and I have noticed a spot on one of my orandas.

He's been involved with spawning and his behaviour has changed recently as he is now sitting under waterfall all the time - maybe itchy??

What all round fungal/anti bacterial treatments would you recommend?

do not seperate fish as the infections would have already spread but it varys at differnt stages and if that fish has it the pond also has that bacteria this knowledge is coming from 8 years of breeding and keeping goldfish.like i said remove plants and treat pond might not even be an infection could be its fins developing differntly as its maturing but try and get closer pics please and then should be able to identify it properly i would treat with fin rot and white spot together at half dose mixed with salt for 3 days and should see results if an infection mate

do not seperate fish as the infections would have already spread but it varys at differnt stages and if that fish has it the pond also has that bacteria this knowledge is coming from 8 years of breeding and keeping goldfish.like i said remove plants and treat pond might not even be an infection could be its fins developing differntly as its maturing but try and get closer pics please and then should be able to identify it properly i would treat with fin rot and white spot together at half dose mixed with salt for 3 days and should see results if an infection mate

Have tried to get close up but the images I have already are the best - seems that close up pics don't show the spots like pics 2 ft away. First and last pic shows the spotty discolouration that wasn't there a week ago the best.

Any ideas as to why he sits under the waterfall?

Agreed, not keen to separate fish if infection has spread. Have you used melafix? Can you recommend any treatment that is not harmful to plants?

I know it is beneficial to ID issue first but to me it could be; fungal, bacterial or natural changes as you said.

I have excellent filtration, nitrates an ammonia levels almost perfect and have a UV component to my filter.

Cheers!

I would have said the same Alanmin except he also said the fish's behaviour had changed. Keep a close eye on it and see if it improves without intervention or meds.

I suspect it is a female too :wink:

I'm pretty sure its a male.... unless she likes playing chase me charlie!

I'll sit tight for time being and monitor.

Thanks for all your advice!

BTW, cleaned out canister filter the other day and it was infested with mozzies! Can I prevent that from happening somehow?!!

The fish should eat some of them. My pond is right outside bedroom windows but we never have a problem with them in the house. I don't think you can prevent them.

This is how I was told to sex goldfish - look down on the fish from above. Males are slimmer and dead straight through the body right to the end of the tail. Females will bulge slightly more on one side than the other and this makes their tails look like they are slightly off centre.

• 2 weeks later...