New Fish Dieing

Judy Sanson

:dunno: :tears: What if I can never have any new fish. Every time I get new fish for my tank, they die. They dont even make it out of quarainteen (sp). Quarinteen and main tank have the same parameters. Tested Both tanks, water range is normal. I empty out some water from Q tank and replace it with community tank water. I want the parameters the same. In my main tank, I have 2 bala sharks and 6 penguin tetres who are all healthy and strong. They were the original fish I got. Over time I have tried Platies, Guppies, Neons, Another shark, and 2 pengiun tetras and a male fighter fish. all of which died within a fortnight. Some of the fish I place into the main tank without quarinteening them, same result. My original 8 fish have never faltered. Does anyone have any thoughts ? Oh yes, forgot to mention, the fish that die, they never have any diseases showing. They just slow down, then sink. One fish, the fighter, died in front of me, one minute fine, the next, dead. At the moment I have four Golden barbs, 3, so far are fine, the forth is swimming arraticly. The main tank at the moment is a two footer, 54 litres. I am, at the moment doing up a 3 footer, 30cm wide by 45cm high. I hope to have them in there within a week or so. the 2 footer will be empted and all that is in there, will be added to bigger tank. Inluding 2/3rds of the water. I want them to have both old and new when they are transferred. well, if any one can help, that would be great. Thankyou.

How are you acclimating them to the new tank before putting them in? Just dumping them straight in is a good way to have a lot of deaths. My losses went way down after I started floating them in the tank and putting in a small cup of water every 15 minutes for 3-4 hours.

Very odd, especially as they die whether in quarantine or the main tank. Because of this, I doubt stress from isolation is the cause. It is good to see someone actually quarantining their new purchases.

If your main tank is only 2ft, why do you have 2 bala sharks? These fish prefer to be in a group of 5 or more and a 4ft is minimum for a few juveniles. I have a friend whose bala outgrew a 6ft tank!

How are you testing the water? Liquid tests are best and ammonia and nitrites should be 0 and nitrates below 25 (although this may not be possible if your tap water has higher nitrates),

are you getting the fish form the same store...as it could be the store fault...go to anthor store and see what happens..

are you running any air stones ..because your little tank sounds over crowded ...

sharks bala sharks need 6 foot or bigger tanks just for two....ive got two bigges in a 3000L + tank...

I agree with the others just a few other comments to add.

Further to Caryl's post have you measured the actual toxic components of your parameters (ammonia nitrates etc) some people assume parameters mean hardness/PH some even just PH but it is the others that will kill faster and more often. Also make sure your test kits are new or not expired most become inaccurate after a year or so.

It is definitely a good idea to quarantine a fish you can paint the bottom of a bare bottomed tank black and put some plastic plants and ornaments in there to help them be more settled, it is always better to quarantine and have the fish slightly stressed out that introduce nasty diseases to your tank and kill all your fish.

+1 on the silver sharks they are one of the bad ones that gets sold in pet shops to people with small tanks they should really be in reasonable sized schools in big tanks to be happy, they will probably be fine in your tank when smaller though.

My sharks are baby,s they are only 2 inches long. I am cycling my 3 foot now, another week to go, them I shall transfer them all by bag into their new home. I have a foor foot tank sitting in the garage, but it wont be utilized for another couple of months. I'l get the 3 foot up and running 1st. I will buy two more sharks to go into the 3 footer. I take my time when acclimitizing new fish, they stay in the bag(s) for a couple of hours while I place water from the tank in. the bag is full to the brim by then. I also have a small air stone that I put into their bag as well. I am wanting to get Clown loaches as well some day. What I will be doing is selling the bigger fish when they outgrow the tanks. Im a member of the Dunedin Aquarium Club, so would prob swop large for smaller. Oh yes, I have a PH kit, but if I need to, I go to a friend in the club who has a kit that tests everything.I have asked a few of the members, but thought I would ask here as well. I decided to put the Gold Barbs into the main tank. Baged them tho so they and the other fish would get used to each other first. The goldies came from an established tank, so I know they are well and healthy. I had met them before. I will see how they go.

well i think you should probably set the four footer up for those sharks and an easier way to get your other tank set up is drain all water and fish into buckets then fill the other tank up with as much water as you can add new fresh water in add some declhor though unless on rain water and then you dont need to cycle add all your gravel etc and filter.this is what i do every time never lost a sinlge fish and have done it for over 7 years good luck with your fish.i personally dont quarintine my fish because ive never had any problems and if buying from reputable people not just some private trader with dodgy fish.get some test kits of your own much easier and can always have them handy when introducing new specimens maybe the fish stores tank are at different levels than yours and is just shocking them.golden barbs are very hardy so if something affects them youve got water problems

The reason they are going into the 3 footer is because I need a stand for my 4 footer. I have nothing that I can put it on at the moment. I am getting a stand built for me, but not till early next year. There is water in the 3 foot now, its been cycling forabout a month. It has river sand (cleaned per instructions)and water. I have 2 Elite filters, one at each end. The plants, water, drift wood etc will be transferred over along with the fish.