Very Hungry Caterpillar

Caryl

Those with children should know the book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, by Eric Carle.

I made this for my daughter's birthday tomorrow. I will post more pics tomorrow with her and the class with it, and the rest of the items required. My neighbour, Emma, came over and iced them for me as I am unable to do so due to my injury. She did a lovely job :hail:

The book starts with an egg on a leaf, in the light of the moon.

The sun comes up and a tiny caterpillar emerges and looks for food.

On consecutive days, the caterpillar eats through a single red apple, two (green) pears, three (purple) plums, four strawberries, and five oranges, which takes us from Monday to Friday.

Saturday: the caterpillar eats its way through many different foods: chocolate cake, ice-cream, a pickle, Swiss cheese, salami, a lollipop, cherry pie, a sausage, a cupcake, and a slice of watermelon. The caterpillar develops a tummy ache as a result of eating all this food.

Sunday: the caterpillar eats through a single leaf, which makes the caterpillar feel better.

The now big caterpillar forms a cocoon (since the titular character is not a moth larva, this is poetic license).

On the final pages the caterpillar is now a 'beautiful' butterfly.

TheVeryHungryCaterpillarKellys32nd.jpg

I bought all the foods the caterpillar ate as well so, as she reads the story, we add the various items to the table. The only thing I couldn't find was a cherry pie so bought an apple crumble and will write 'cherry pie' on it. The kids will be none the wiser since they will not be eating it! :wink:

The caterpillar is gluten free as one of the kids in her class requires this. The bright green icing is gluten free but we did not have enough icing for all so the rest of it is not gluten free. The cake, one of the things he eats on Saturday, is chocolate cake as another child in her class is autistic and only eats 5 foods - one of them is chocolate cake, so all dietary requirements have been met! :happy2:

The now big caterpillar forms a cocoon (since the titular character is not a moth larva, this is poetic license).

Last time I checked butterfly caterpillars also formed cocoons?

The caterpillar is gluten free as one of the kids in her class requires this.

Oh, bleah, you ruined it. Needs more glutens!

You did a great job. What a pity you had to make your own cake though :cry:

I wanted to! I LOVE making and decorating cakes :o) This year though, I didn't make one because I was just sooo busy and didn't have time. I just bought some coffee cake from Countdown lol The last 5 months have been really busy ones and I didn't even make my daughters birthday cake from scratch. I just bought a couple of rectangle sponges and iced and decorated them. But she still LOVED her cake.

I've been making my own cakes since I was 17. One day I am going to do a cake decorating class. :thup: