Crypt Tank 2.0

N1CK

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh right :)

I don't grow my crypts emersed so I don't know what the emersed growth of mine looks like. Might give it a go if we ever move to a new house so I have more room for tanks and stuff.

Just been doing a bit of research on google, and apparently C. willisii is a huge complex of all different sorts of variations and hybrids, which makes identification very confusing :x So there is no definate name for anything in the willisii complex, which is why it is normally labled as 'Cryptocoryne x willisii', the x meaning it is a cross/hybrid between diffeent species. So their are many different types of willsii all with various differences. I'm now not exactly sure about what 'lucens' is...

My 'willsii' has very long leaves and long leaf stalks, longer than photos of plants I've seen labled as 'lucens' or 'willisii x lucens'. It is still relitively small, although larger than plants labled as 'lucens'. Also the leaves have pointy ends and not roundish ends like plants labled as 'lucens'. It is also confined to a pot so it would probably grow much bigger if it was just planted in a bed of substrate and allowed to do whatever it wants.

This thread is pretty interesting -

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plant-id/60818-crypt-parva-vs-crypt-x-willisii.html

That's one of the google searches that came up, the leaves look similar to what he has labeled as C. Willisii on the left.

Also, do you prefer the pics being smaller? Having to open them all seperately, or the larger pics in the thread?

Sorry to rain on your parade but that to me looks like a cordata leaf. ( I may be wrong so dont stone me if it is &c:ry )

C. cordata spathes are a definate pinkish colour and are more rounded at the base.

Cryptflower07-09036.jpg

The fact it is putting out new leaves is great though.

Got any other closer pics?

Couldn't get any closer pics. Was hard enough to get it that focused.

It is a pinky brown colour, and there's a kind of lump where it bends a bit at the base of the plant.

And about the leaves thing, I was kind of wondering about that too. Must be happy in there if it is a spathe.

*crosses fingers*

When it does flower I hope you dont mind the smell of rotting flesh.

Oh, I won't mind at all, it's only in my room...

• 5 months later...

Long time no update :( Buttt...

Spathes!

7240495366_fb21f6186b_o.jpg

C. Cordata

EDIT: Fairly sure the var. on this is siamensis, so it would be 'C. Cordata var. siamensis'

DOUBLE EDIT: Wrong I.D. I think. Looks more like C. potunderiifolia

7378849368_7193bdb445_o.jpg

C. Undulata

Had one of each open up at the same time, exciting stuffs. :3

72157628727672613 there's a lot of pictures in there, some old, some new. I manage to upload them on to flickr then forget to do anything about them on here :( I'll add a link in my signature for all the pictures.

C. Willisi spathe, has yet to open.

7511290050_5b93438d98_o.jpg

7511289438_694947a395_o.jpg

The spathe itself is tiny, ~5cm from base to top and was it was difficult to get a clear picture of it.

Correctly identified Crypt flowers will be good on the plant database as they are the only easy way to identify them (DNA is a bit tricky).

Who would I go to to see if they need pictures?

• 1 month later...
Yay :happy2:

Those crypt flowers are so cool. If I had the room I'd love to set up a tank like this :D

It's really not that hard, very cheap if you don't mind how pretty it looks. Could do it in a plastic tub if you really wanted too :P

Have a C. Undulata spathe out atm, with another spathe from that and C. Willisii 'lucens' coming out in the next week or so.

Can get pictures up later after dindins.