January 31, 200521 yr comment_37771 Hi I'm thinking of taking a trip to Auckland at easter and would like to know from the locals which fish shops are the best, say top 5-6 to visit. Also i have heard there is a good one in Rotarua, anyone know that one ? I'll be looking for fresher water not marine. Thanks Report
January 31, 200521 yr comment_37772 Hi Paul, From what I have heard Hollywood Fish Farm and Tropical blues at Tirau?? are pretty good but other than those not too sure. Steve Report
January 31, 200521 yr comment_37779 Okay, here's my list of all the Fish Shops I've visited in Auckland - they all have their good points & all worth a visit. Pupuke Aquarium Centre, Lydia Ave, Birkenhead - the only that is dedicated just to fish (I think). Hollywood - 36 Frost Rd, Mt Roskill & Albany (get the address from Mt R) Jansen's - 985 Mt Eden Rd, Three Kings & Cnr Porana Rd & Cherry Lane, Glenfield. There's another one at 12 Amera Place, 371 Ti Rakau Drive, Botany that I haven't been to. Massey Pets & Aquarium Centre - 406 Don Buck Rd, Massey. Bird Barn - 158 Lincoln Rd, Henderson. Many more I'm sure, just never been to them myself. Report
February 1, 200521 yr comment_37843 i liked pupuke both Hollywoods, they each have different fish so found it worth going to both. for the type of fish i like i preferred both Jansens over the brindge, Silverdale and North Shore. although both others have good fish departments, with some different fish. strangely price varies between the stores. there is a fish shop in Hamilton which is meant to be good too, but didnt get to go as closed sun/mon and there is tropical blues in Tirau on the way to Auckland. i have also heard Waterworld in Rotorue is good, paradise road, not been though hope that helps plecs Report
February 6, 200521 yr comment_38290 yeah gotta agree cant go wrong with a visit to Pupuke, Jansens (Wairau) and Hollywood in Albany. All are about 5 -10mins drive from me and can usually find something interesting at one of them Report
February 14, 200521 yr comment_39271 i have always used jansens mt eden road and i have never had any problems .....and i live 45 miniutes out of town (well worth the travel) Report
February 14, 200521 yr comment_39297 remember some of the shops are closed the stat days , we are but if you want i can open up for you if you are from out of town, Report
February 14, 200521 yr comment_39321 :lol: no i know what its like traveling the earth to go to a shop that isnt open...... i have had that happen to me a few times, Report
February 15, 200521 yr comment_39366 Kim what store do you work at? I assume it is on the north shore. Report
February 15, 200521 yr comment_39397 pupuke aquarium, yes its on the shore, we only sell fish!! no cats, dogs ,birds , mice or rats. :lol: Report
February 15, 200521 yr comment_39427 I was just there on saturday, you would have been the person there I was the one looking for ages then just got plants. Report
February 16, 200521 yr comment_39544 yes i remember Staplez its always so cool meeting people in person as im a people person :lol: Report
February 23, 200521 yr comment_40479 Hi there Its wonderworld aquarium or the pet shop on Clayton Road in Rotorua. They are really nice people and Ardie has been most helpful to me with the goldfish. See ya Faye Report
February 23, 200521 yr comment_40480 I popped into pupuke aquarium on Sunday for a wee bit.. the guy in there was most helpful, given all I bought was a breeding trap and some filter wool.. nice collection of fish, and somewhere I'll definitely be including on my wanders around the fish shops in future Report
February 23, 200521 yr comment_40482 what sort of fish do you sell kim?? any africans and what sort of ancistrus?? Report
March 7, 200521 yr comment_41402 There's another one at 12 Amera Place, 371 Ti Rakau Drive, Botany that I haven't been to. i go there constantly and it's really good, but noting beats hollywood Report
March 7, 200521 yr comment_41407 i sell most fish!!! no african's at the moment but the new owner of the shop will put them in. i have 100's of golden black eyes b/n :lol: Report
August 20, 200620 yr comment_116641 Hi there, the place in Rotorua is called Wonderland Aquarium and Pet centre. The guy that runs the place is called Arty!, and he is great. I bought fish from there recently. Don't accept the [rices on the tanks, hit him up for a deal. HIs fish are very good quality and he is very knowledgable. I will certainly be going back. I wouldn't noramally recommend shops because of the prices, but I have no problems with the fish I have purchaded off him. I have bought from breeders all over the top half of the north Island and encountered everything from worms to parasites in the fis. There is one person I know I will never buy from again. If you a ever in Hamilton also check out the Gold fis Bowl. he doesn't have a huge selection but his fish are also great quality. The guys name is Brian, he too is very helpful. Report
August 20, 200620 yr comment_116644 Forgot to mention the place in Rotorua is on Clayton Road. It is on the right at the main set of lights you come to from the north. Down there about 4-500 metres on the left. Report
August 20, 200620 yr comment_116704 Wonderworld* and yes it is a great store, not hard to find, its on the road to go to paradise valley i beleive. they have everything from pretty salt water eels to clown knives, africans, goldfish, and some cool fancy cories. tropical blues in tirau is also good but is a smaller store Report
August 20, 200620 yr comment_116819 if your are going up to auckland you should drop into the animal shack, they have 60fish tanks and a decent range. ww.theanimalshanck.co.nz Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.