Squirt's 30L Iwagumi New Photos 17.06.2012

Squirt

Hi si sphinx

Yes I have been using silicone to seal everything and it doesn't seem to stick very well. A mate has suggested to sand around the seal to give a more porous surface for it to stick to? Is this a good idea? I will keep an eye out for plastic welding glue, but how aquarium safe would t be?

I'd rather not cut the wire myself but may have to get an electrician to do it, hopefully than can do it cheaply.

My filter on my turtle tank has just broken so I'm looking at getting a new one for that as well.

Thanks

Matt

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I don't know where to go from here as a majority of those have msold resistances or mildew resistance...

Custom O ring with silicone maybe? Only thing is you many make it too fat either wise the obtained doesn't close, I thought about using airline tubing but that was too thick

I know, I guess you go this far and all you need to do is seal, drill a few holes and seal some more and that's it, you don't want to buy a filter. I'm buying a filter today anyway because the one on my 200L decided to snap so I'm going to be a bit out of pocket after that.

use your Aquarium silicone, run a bead of it around the blue plastic seal , keeping it as tight to the lines as poss, on the other part, (or anywhere you DONT want silicone) a light grease with vaseline, so thin you can only just see where youve gone, press the 2 together and leave for awhile till silicone starts to go off, then remove and let it fully cure before trying again. you may have to trim around the edges etc for touchups, but it should give you a molded, near-perfect seal.

:thup: good luck

EDIT: or completely remove teh blue seal and start from scratch with the silicone?? also, may take 2 moulds to get it perfect, just make sure that if you re-do any areas, that there isn't Vaseline. (bit of meths on a cloth should sort that, give you a clean dry spot to go over)

of course, this is all hypothetical and how I would do it, and results may vary...

You may find that the silicone isn't the answer - much like using silicone for acrylic tanks doesn't work - the plastic secretes an oil like substance which stops the silicon from ever setting to it. I'd go hot glue in copious amounts around the rim/rubber seal then lock it in place as fast as possible and hope for the best :)

Only problem I can see with that is the two bits sticking together :slfg: and having this unopenable box that you end up raging at.... Haha I will keep that in mind obstacle, if it doesn't work this time I'll try that I forgot to go and get hot glue sticks today :facepalm: oh well that's tomorrows job :yaw1:

Yeah I don't think I'll be able to do that. The heater from the nano has gone into the big canister filter, just to keep the bacteria alive, so the bacteria would die in the new filter in cold water. My new filter is on its way I bought it from aqua world :thup: . With this little filter I will wait tonight for the silicone to set. We shall see. Well there's not going to be much progress today on the filter because me and my mate have both finished our exams now and are going to hang out today.

My plants should arrive today. So would riccia and dwarf hairgrass survive in cold water for a while? Or should I stick them in a container in the turtle tank until my new filter arrives?

Thanks

Matt

Okay, I have received my riccia and dwarf hairgrass today. Both of the plants look great, but appalled at the fast post service. I spent a few hours picking out shards of the plastic container out of the riccia and the container the hairgrass can in was badly smashed as well. Im Disappointed NZ Post.

They look great an I spent about 1/2 hour filling it up. Looks good apart from the floating container of riccia. So I will post pictures tomorrow, if my filter arrives. The water is Luke warm at the moment. I don't have a spare heater because I have one in a filter and one in the turtle tank. Oh well the plants will survive.

The co2 diffuser looks terrible in the tank. Ill have to buy a glass ceramic diffuser.

Got some hot glue on the way home from golf (I played well a few birdie and a few pars).

All in all a good day.

Cool thanks Sophia :thup: :kiss: I hope to mass grow it in this nano, and share the riccia love throughout FNZAS, such a cool plant that's so uncommon. Aqua world have sent my filter so hopefully it arrives by next Monday, and then I can get this tank up and running properly, as I don't want to make my riccia lawn without it being heated.