Obstacle's Nano Cube

the-obstacle

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so I cut back to 10 hours white and 12 hours blue. It's only been a day but things are getting better already. What I thought was frogspawn isn't, it's something like it but with green stems and purple tips instead of the other way round. I also just picked up an RO/DI unit so I'll be buying some salt tomorrow so I don't have to trek to the beach every couple of days. I can also use it for top up water.

Ammonia is still .5ppm but that's now the reading before the water changes not after. I'm still doing about 10L water change each day. Still no nitrites or nitrates at any major levels so I'm not too worried. The clowns and anemone seems happy today.

Ouch, drying it after a dip in saltwater will probably be a waste of time, a new one needed me thinks......

I think you're right. I've ordered a replacement. It's currently running the lights at 100% so at least I can control them coming on and off. I'll just run them hot for a few days until the replacement arrives. That was an expensive mistake to make but not as bad as it could have been - my drivers are still dry.

• 2 weeks later...

Controller is still going strong. :thup:

The split anemone looked like either half wasn't going to make it for a while there but I've increased the light (now that they're used to it) and been target feeding every second day and it's finally got it's colour back. I'll take some photos tonight if I can find the camera.

I also have a little frogspawn frag that broke off in transit that I figured was a goner but it has bounced back to life on the sandbed and doubled in size. I'm thinking I might sell the big frogspawn and set this frag up to start a whole new plate.

All in all I'm feeling a lot more optimistic about the tank and it's inhabitants which now includes a blue legged hermit which is mowing down the algae outbreak I had due to the increased lights.

• 3 weeks later...

a few pictures - none of very good quality but it gives a view of what's going on for now.

I'm having quite the green algae outbreak but I've got some snails and a hermit going to work on it at the moment and it appears to be running out of steam. The anemone both moved to places they seem to prefer and have stayed put for now. One of them is being rehomed this week, hopefully. I want to get hold of an acro or monti frag to start on the top of the zoo covered rock.

img8891a.jpg

img8878km.jpg

img8879b.jpg

img8883r.jpg

img8888h.jpg

img8890j.jpg

the next one is going to be a rimless 1200 x 1200 x 400 with an overflow in the middle and custom stand / light hood. I don't need a table in the dining room. I do need a job before I can invest in that though.

that a nice size tank....it whould be cool..to see ..full of soft and hard corals....and you can walk around the whole tank.

that whould be awsome... !drool: !drool: !drool:

I an assuming you arnt running a sump? Just wondering ... and just running a Skimmer? Also the leds are they the dimmable kit set?

Yeah, just an in tank skimmer. I got a Hydor Slim Skim Nano from the states. It worked out to be the same price as a tunze nano skimmer locally so if I were to do it again I'd go tunze but this looks better :)

I ordered the dimmable LED kit but didn't use the drivers that come standard as they're horrible. I used a light controller that uses a PWM signal for controlling the dimming so I got the meanwell p series drivers to match. If i were to do it again I'd order the LEDs and heatsinks only from aquastyleonline.com and get the meanwell drivers locally.

Your tank is looking awesome. :thup:

I'm thinking about getting the same lighting kit as you.

Question... Do the LEDS get hot enough to need the heatsink? Just thinking I don't want to have to buy it if it doesn't need it.

They get hot but not enough to really need the heatsink. If they were on a ventilated piece of metal with a bit of air flow they'd be fine. With the fan running the heatsink is cold to the touch with the LEDs running at 80% max power. I read somewhere on reef central that most LEDs don't get anywhere near hot enough to cause problems for themselves.

Yeah, just an in tank skimmer. I got a Hydor Slim Skim Nano from the states. It worked out to be the same price as a tunze nano skimmer locally so if I were to do it again I'd go tunze but this looks better :)

I ordered the dimmable LED kit but didn't use the drivers that come standard as they're horrible. I used a light controller that uses a PWM signal for controlling the dimming so I got the meanwell p series drivers to match. If i were to do it again I'd order the LEDs and heatsinks only from aquastyleonline.com and get the meanwell drivers locally.

They get hot but not enough to really need the heatsink. If they were on a ventilated piece of metal with a bit of air flow they'd be fine. With the fan running the heatsink is cold to the touch with the LEDs running at 80% max power. I read somewhere on reef central that most LEDs don't get anywhere near hot enough to cause problems for themselves.

Ohhh thanks. What's wrong with the drivers that came with them?