Building a Fishroom

livebearer_breeder

I thought the DIY section was as good as any to post his in. Some of you may already know this but i am biulding a fishroom. the stats are as follows:

2.6mx 1.2m in size

along both walls will be 2x 2m, 3 teir steels stands, of which i have already purchased the steel.

Along the back wall will be a 1m, 3 tier steel stand.

In total about 42 tanks, the stands are only 30cm wide.

The room will be fully insualted with Batts and insulation Gib, then water proof paint.

I intend to heat the room just useing the aquarium heaters i already have along wth all the lighting.

There will be a luver sp? like system in the roof for cooling.

Im just wondering if anyone could give me some advice or giudelines as to anything i should add, or change?

Cheers Shae

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I would not go with gib. Try plywood (either marine ply or do what I did and put normal 7mm ply up then polyurethane the whole room) My room is for a saltwater tank so obviously more caustic than freshwater however plenty of evaporation will ruin the gib - paint or no paint (possibly look at gib aqualine?) My fishroom (or rather sump room) is 1.8m x 1.8m square - I think you'll find 1.2m is a very tight fit, especially if you want to add or change the layout later.

BTW, you'd be amazed how easy/often you have water spills :D Not sure on where it will be located but if you can, do what I did and leave a 10mm gap at the bottom of the walls incase of any flooding. Also if you can, put a drainage hole in the middle of the floor (or concrete) that makes cleaning up "accidents" easy!

Some very good points here and I agree with the ones made by Jude and Chimera. I think also that 1.2 wide is too small. Especially when you have said that

along both walls will be 2x 2m, 3 teir steels stands

the stands are only 30cm wide

So that leaves only 600mm down the middle to move around and that is hardly enough room to get past a bucket or to view the tanks. Although it may be a good move to stop fatties like me coming round to have a look????

I before E.

I seem to remember Shae saying he was being allowed to build his fishroom in the end of his dad's garage so no building permit required if this is so.

I too am wondering about lack of turning room.

Chim's point re ply rather than gib is also valid. I would be using polystyrene for the walls for insulation. I have seen a number of fishrooms using this and it works well for temperature control.

Don't forget to leave enough room above the tanks for net handles (or bend handles to fit) and possibly fluoro light strips. When trying to catch fish it is easier when you can see what you are doing rather than rely on a single ceiling light behind you casting shadow.

Thanks Chimera, that sounds much cheaper too, will look into it, No i do not need a permit, at the momment 1.2m wide is all i have to use, and thats enough room for me no problems, however i will talk to my dad about making it wider, and perhaps having the MG on thats side of the Garage as it is much smaller than the Jeep. I've been thinking about lighting Caryl, and have decided i will put in some sought of lighting for each teir.

Shae

Your local hydroponics store will have plastic sheet (white one side)that they use for lining there rooms. Cost about $6.00 per metre (2.4x1.0mtr) will keep walls dry, reflect ligthing and can be put up with a staple gun in ten minutes. Low cost all round and best option I think. I'm building my own fish room in sleepout and was thinking about use gib aqualine with oilbase piant but think this option is way to easy to do. I'll be going over customwood 5mm sheet . Hope this helps

Check out all your local building suppliers for seconds and packing sheets.

Its not like your building a house, the fish won't care.If your going to use pink batts find out from a building supplier who is contracted to install batts for them.They will usually have leftovers comming out their ears.

• 2 weeks later...

if inside garage quite easy to frame from 4x2 and then line etc, much easier then if you have to build the outside walls, room structure etc.....

If you are planning using bats, use the regular building spacing for your studs thus the batts slot in nice and tight as designed.....

• 1 month later...

Update- Frameing - Check

Insulation - Check

Gib - Will be Completly finished tomorow night

Electrical - Check

Gib Stopping - Finshed by next weekend

Painting - Again Will be finished by next weekend

Steel Stands - Finished within next month

All in All things are going along night by night.

Will be posting the Progressive Pics When i can.

Shae