My tank cleanup (lots of pics)

Adrienne

Over the past 8-10 weeks my 5ft, 450 litre planted tank has suffered from irregular water changes, pruning and a lack of fertilisers causing most known types of algae to develop and detritis to lie on the bottom of the tank and float on the surface. After having a total hip replacement nearly 2 weeks ago I am now in a position to be able to begin to tidy it up, albeit slowly as I am still on crutches for another month and have limited reach and mobility.

I thought I would post some before and after photos of my tank to show it can be done and that in most cases outbreaks of algae can be treated without the need to throw out your plants and start again. I will add to this thread as the algae reduces and the plants return to a better state of health.

Before the magnetic cleaner was used on the front and side glass of the tank -

algaetankoct.jpg

agaetank2oct.jpg

algaetank3oct.jpg

algaetank4oct.jpg

After the glass cleaning and pick up of loose plant detritis off the bottom and surface of the tank (please note the amount of algae remaining on the wood, plants, filter and heaters. The CO2 diffuser is still on the bottom of the tank as I am as yet unable to reach this. The CO2 has not been running for a couple of months.

cleanedtankoct.jpg

cleanedtank2oct.jpg

aftercleaningstillalgeoct.jpg

and some of my fish in the tank with obvious algae in the back ground. I have started dosing flourish excel daily, flourish comprehensive every 2 days and epsom salts each water change - water changes will be increased from every 7-8 days to hopefully every 3-4 days depending on my husbands availability to assist me.

centretankoct.jpg

discuscleanedtankoct.jpg

discuscleanedtankoct2.jpg

discus3oct.jpg

discus2oct.jpg

penangeruptionoct.jpg

discusoct.jpg

clownloach.jpg

pygmycoryoct.jpg

rams2oct.jpg

sterbaioct.jpg

saesterbaioct.jpg

ramsoct.jpg

I use the epsom salts because it was recommended to me - it is magnesium sulphate and it has improved my plants health a lot. 1 tsp per 200 litres when doing a water change. I normally change 50% of my tank each time.

Thanks Adrienne, I might give that a try - I have discus in my 200l tanks and the plants don't do as well as my 100l tank (prob the T8 vs T5 lighting to blame) I see your Discus don't appear any worse for wear so am going to copy your regime

:thup: Would I be right in thinking that when I do a 50% water change I am to put in half a teaspoon?

It would be very cool if you can post progress pics?

Always good to get in and give the tanks a good thrashing once in a while... makes you feel so much better about things.

I'm watching this thread to see how the algae on the wood reacts to your regime... I have BBA on my two pieces of wood and my method of removal at the moment is pull the wood out every so often and give it a good scrub :)

Yes it could have been. The primary reason for the CO2 being turned off is that the bits keep coming apart as in the pressure keeps blowing the plastic drop checker open. I can't get down to put it back together and until I can work out why it started happening theres no point in making a massive effort just for it to happen again and again.

I'm watching this thread to see how the algae on the wood reacts to your regime... I have BBA on my two pieces of wood and my method of removal at the moment is pull the wood out every so often and give it a good scrub :)

Another water change today. The hair algae seems to have gone away and the bba on the wood has turned this colour as a result of my squirting flourish excel directly on to it with a syringe on Monday. I find this method works well in the worst affected areas however it is a slow process.

• 4 weeks later...