crypts n swordplants

Sophia

Are there any sword plants that stay about the same size as a small to medium crypt variety? I've had some success with crypts but as I have a low tech tank, everytime I offend them it takes a while for them to grow back after a melt. I thought I could add a swordplant or 2 to give some more reliable greenery. I do have dwarf chain sword that is doing pretty well but I'd like something with slightly wider leaves. Stem plants not so appropriate either. What do you think?

It's official, I am not losing it. Measured the root this morning before work and it was about an inch long, after work it's now an inch and a half....

shall I chop off the stalk and let it grow elsewhere so the main plant can get established or is this not going to matter? I fear I may have bought a monster plant for my little low tech tank

It is a small plant and as far as I know the only one in NZ is parviflorus tropica which is the smaller variety. They are not that easy to convert because they are small so best to leave it on the runner and let it grow a good bunch of roots so it can easily be anchored when you seperate it.

Nice plant with its small size and "hammered" leaves. It will do even better if you let it develop good roots then leave it on the runner and plant it. The mother plant will continue to support it. You can seperate it later if you wish.

• 3 weeks later...

here's a photo of it now, I tried to limit the spread of the longest root by wrapping it around, it's now in a figure 8 :gigl:

There are 3 roots now, I'd like to plant it in the empty space while the crypts are still sulking - do you think I could snip the branch and then bury the branch with the sword just sitting on the substrate so the roots can find their way in themselves, or will they crawl over the top instead and should be planted?

I see Alan says it should be 'way bigger' but the plantlet itself isn't way bigger yet.

swordparviflorusplantlet.jpg

It is big enough to seperate. If you bend it back off the runner towards the mother plant it should come free. Cut the roots back to about 50mm and plant it. You may get more off the runner if there are other nodes on it. It may be the normal parvifloris rather than tropica in which casr could you keep me one. Jennifer has a good bunch of them in a Hi Tech tank and they are way smaller than that.