anyone know if the huge fire eel

arcanine

at bird barn is for sale? it was the biggest one i have ever seen and makes mine seem like a worm! i felt sorry for him in the tiny tank though, it said large fire eel $120 but seriously that thing was like XXXXXL not just large but he was the only one i could see :dunno:

yes it is for sale.

it is indeed extremely large and still has the potential to get bigger.

not all fire eels will EVER get that large. most would and are stunted, when a fire eel gets that large in aquaria, it means it has past a certain point of growth that most dont get to due to death or stunting.

if you get that eel, feed it a diet of shrimp, I betyou it will get a good growth spurt as i was told, it was fed mainly on bloodworms.

if that is the case, bloodworms has a very low protein %, prawn has more than double bloodworm in terms of wet weight.

its not a bad price for a HUGE fire eel. I was tempted to get it but i already have a fire eel im growing.

thanks henward, i dont know if my tank would be big enough for him but its certainly bigger than the one hes in atm and he would be the only thing in it. now to decide wether to get him or the massive goldfish i was going to get for the pond...... :nilly:

he was seriously awesome, if i took a 60l container with a clip on lid do you think he would be ok for the 2.5 hour drive back? he wouldnt be able to weasel his way out i wouldnt think

I believe it is about 7-9 years old. I may be wrong but the lady that had it since a baby offered it to me for free. She kept buying bigger and bigger tanks as it kept out growing them and then eventually gave up so I told it take it to bird barn and ask alan if he would buy it off her which he obviously did. Very impressive eel.

lifepsan depends on care and diet and the fish.

i find that most pepole say that age because the fish die before it reaches an old age.

example, in asia, most say that arowanas live for 8 to 10 years.

but some breeders have commonly said they have arowanas that are 25 years old, some 16, some say average 19 yrs old.

then upon further investigation, i find out that most fish in asia die around this age of 8 to 10 or less, maybve 5 to 6 because the tank is always under filtered (it is the asian way) to under filter and under house a large fish... god knows why... silly really.

so the constant amonia spike after feeding etc, exposure to bad water, small tank.... could shorten the life, so when cared for properly like in a pond or giant tank - these fish can live long, i think it would be the same with Fire eels and TT eels and most fish.

The larger the fish and large potential the longer it lives generally.

thanks henward, ill be calling them today to see if its still there and to see if they would hold it till the 19th as i have a family friend coming down who has offered to bring it down for me, to save the $100 trip there and back so fingers crossed! :smln: if not heres hoping its still here on the 19th

oh also, when i saw it, we went in at "feeding time" and the whole tank got 4 bloodworm cubes between them, there was about 20 biiiig fish in there and when i asked, thats all they got

lol.. Must've been a light feeding day then. Every single time I'm there for feeding time, that tank gets a TRAY of bloodworms - awesome feeding frenzy lol.

i would put it in a good sized tank, awesome filters... good water change regime and feed it prawns, small ones very cheap from pak n save.

IF you want to feed bigger prawn, you can stuff the big prawns with massivore or hikari sticks - adds a protein punch to it, it will spurt in growth

hes on hold for me, and will feed him prawns, i already have a 25cm one, who i will be moving out of the big tank so am experienced with them, he will be my 4th one i have had in my fish keeping years, i do 1/3 water changes every sunday.

ally - must have been! not sure the person feeding was the regular person as when i asked a few questions the answers were very brief

hes on hold for me, and will feed him prawns, i already have a 25cm one, who i will be moving out of the big tank so am experienced with them, he will be my 4th one i have had in my fish keeping years, i do 1/3 water changes every sunday.

ally - must have been! not sure the person feeding was the regular person as when i asked a few questions the answers were very brief

Oh well, good on you for taking him to a good home instead of that holding tank, but I'll miss checking him out when I'm there lol.