Biotope 25L -Acuario del rio Solimões (New Scape!))

Li@m

Emptied old holding tank so decided to do a Biotope for Neon Tetras.

Size: 400x250x250mm

Filter:

Lighting: Going to make a custom LED setup+hood

Heater:

Fish: Will be putting 10 neons in.

I still need to get some beech or oak leaves to put on the bottom and less powerful light.

Should i put paint the background black?

Any feed back welcome.

I don't think you should paint it black; firstly, because this tank is a biotope and will be rich in tannins, it will be quite dark so by adding a black backround the whole tank will look too dark and the wood won't look as effective or stand out. Secondly, if you do go for a black backround and then change your mind about it or change the aquascape and need a different backround, then you'll have the problem of having to scrape off the paint from the tank which is such a pain, and you risk scratching the glass. It would be better to buy a sheet of black paper and stick it to the back of the tank with tape.

:D

I don't think you should paint it black; firstly, because this tank is a biotope and will be rich in tannins, it will be quite dark so by adding a black backround the whole tank will look too dark and the wood won't look as effective or stand out. Secondly, if you do go for a black backround and then change your mind about it or change the aquascape and need a different backround, then you'll have the problem of having to scrape off the paint from the tank which is such a pain, and you risk scratching the glass. It would be better to buy a sheet of black paper and stick it to the back of the tank with tape.

:D

Well joe heres it black. I just slapped some matt black paper on the back and it looks pretty good. :lol:

P1020696.jpg

looks good Liam. White or black background would look alright as the neons would stand out well, as opposed to blueish colours like mine.

---

Hey Liam, you should let us come and see your tanks in the tank crawl on Sat. I fear mine will be the only small ones on show &c:ry

There will still be a light shining in from the top and oak leaves don't make the water that dark in my experience.

Wanna bet :wink:

I think black background would be best though.

Also, you will have problems trying to find oak leaves at this time of the year. Unless you saved some from Autumn that is. :lol:

there are some oak leaves at Cornwall Park but you will have to have a hunt around as they are nowhere near as plentiful now as in Autumn. I'd start on Oak Tree Drive as there are branches that have fallen off and those leaves go brown.

Thanks Sophia, Ill try get there today.

Any one know where i can get Ader cones from in Auckland?

Yeah im going to Cornwall park 2moro.

Heres and up date, ive changed the wood around and have brought the rocks on the right forwards to make enough room to hide the filter in/out take and heater.

IMG_6956.jpg

I played around with the camera a bit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...