pet shop with sick clowns

chris b

I have been to my local pet shop and they have a display tank with very sick looking clown loaches (1 about 15cm maybe 4 10cm)

I have tried and tried to tell the owner they are sick but he tells me that's just how they are,i have 25 very healthy clowns and that's defiantly not how they are!!

The biggest sits in the corner facing up into the filter current all day and is very skinny (i told him it needs to be wormed and he laugh at me).

There is 1 other floating around the top, on its side at times with a white lump on its eye and barbals

i have asked him to sell them to me and ill treat them but no success

what can i do without getting the shop in trouble?

nothing, take a video and post on here, and tell us who it is with the permission of the mods...

this is to keep these guys honest

i must admit, i have seen some pretty irresponsible shops out there... not many but some.

PM me who it is maybe?

curious lol

but yeah, just boycott that shop.

video for proof, mods permission and we can all boycott.

Im not going to name them.

If anyone sees' this from timaru they will no what pet shop it is we only have one (should be none)

im not going to go to the paper because they will know its me straight away as im always telling them how it is

all i can do is not go there.

That's sad (and arrogant) that they won't accept any advice to help their fish.

When you know how gregarious and active loaches normally are it isn't nice to see them suffering:(

I saw a lone kubotai loach looking really withdrawn and nowhere to hide or play with in a pet shop near me & I just had to leave the store.

GL with helping them.

Why wouldn't they sell them to you? Just to be spiteful? Get someone else to go in there for you and buy them all??

Some people just won't listen/don't want to know. It's like when I told my daughters kindy that their fish tank was too small for the 5 fantail goldfish they had in it. Last time I went there there was only one as the rest had died. :cry: I told them that you need at least 60 litres for one fantail and they said that they were told it was fine (by one Animates store) and they said they'd had them for ages..... still.... they just had no room to swim around. The tank is only about 50L at the most.

Well if it's a display tank then he can put anything suitable that he wants in there... like guppies for example :thup:

he has angels, discus, flying fox, clowns, gormez and tanks about a 200L.

Guppies might be food but im sure he would be one to try :facepalm:

went to the shop today 1 clown down 3 looking ok 1 still skinny. He has treated the tank with an antibiotic as one of the discus got an injury (at lest he is looking after them). there tank had a nitrate spike after treating so he is doing lots of water changes witch is good for the clowns

still no sale tho. I said to him "you knows were i work when you wants to sell them" and said i paid $75 for some recently

hope that works

went to the shop today 1 clown down 3 looking ok 1 still skinny. He has treated the tank with an antibiotic as one of the discus got an injury (at lest he is looking after them). there tank had a nitrate spike after treating so he is doing lots of water changes witch is good for the clowns

still no sale tho. I said to him "you knows were i work when you wants to sell them" and said i paid $75 for some recently

hope that works

Fingers and toes crossed xx

Nitrate is not a problem. If you got the clowns what would you treat them for and how would you treat them?

I thought nitrates was bad i dono what he said something spiked anyway nitrite or nitrate (im not an expert).

I would treat them all to a wormer that is all for now as the one with the white infection around its barbals and white eye died i think

he seems to have it under control for now ...till the next outbreak atlest

The toxic nature of nitrate to humans is not the nitrate but the fact that enzymes and bacteria in the mouths of some people can cause the nitrate to become nitrite and this can react with the red blood cells to cause a similar problem to carbon monoxide poisoning where the blood cannot carry oxygen. But you need a whole predisposition to it.

This may be a similar problem to fish but I don't know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...