over filtering

chris b

Go for it. It's (nearly) impossible to over filter a tank and the more bio media in the system the better. I didn't read the full ad but you usually have to buy a pump to go with those pond filters so you could just choose a slower pump for the smaller amount of water. Although most ponds are filtered a lot less than aquaria.

In short - it won't hurt.

The only possible way to "over filter" a tank is a filter that creates too much current. And it takes a LOT of flow to do that. My tank at the moment has 20X turnover from the filters and powerheads and isn't even close to too much current.

The only possible way to "over filter" a tank is a filter that creates too much current. And it takes a LOT of flow to do that. My tank at the moment has 20X turnover from the filters and powerheads and isn't even close to too much current.

thanks for the repleys

I will be ordering the filter and pump (separately) next week.

will see how much current it will make, hopefully doesn't suck the fish in lol or blow them out of the tank haha

got the filter and pump today didnt come with all the hoses etc :facepalm: i used the hoses etc off the origanal filter got it all working sweat, very very grunty!!

might put some hose clamps on all the hoses so they dont pop off.

loaches seem scard of it at the moment but they will come round im sure :thup:

• 2 weeks later...

one of the discus got sucked onto the side of the filter lastnight &c:ry got a few scratches, hopefully should come right i haven't treated the tank with anything just keeping the water quality's perfect hoping he will sort himself out.

i have turned off the power head so he can swim anywhere in the tank now (away from the filter) without getting tossed around

i will be moveing them 2 another tank shortly

that surprises me - how big are your discus. I have discus in a 450 litre tank and run an fx5 on it. The discus happily swim in the tank with no issues and often I run a 6000lph power head in there as well to flush the tank. The discus also have no issues with this.

that surprises me - how big are your discus. I have discus in a 450 litre tank and run an fx5 on it. The discus happily swim in the tank with no issues and often I run a 6000lph power head in there as well to flush the tank. The discus also have no issues with this.

all the discus are about 8cm round ish, he died lastnyt clown loaches or pleco must of eaten it :tears:

maybe it was sick it seemed very skitish any noises the filters made it fliped out. Over than that it looked and swam fine and was still eatting