Brine Shrimp

blueether

Do you neutralise the Chlorine with Thios-phosphate?

no i just rinse well in freshwater when they change colour

seems to work alright :dunno:

The decap you buy is freeze dried and will not hatch. As LA has said you can decap your own but it only lasts a short time. (I think in the fridge in brine)

yes in brine but i usually put straight in hatchery

I have been trying to get some from the guys in Tauranga but they wont answer their phones or return messages or texts so I might go with the South Island TM listing for hatching eggs.

As you said its only $6 + shipping so it is worth a punt.

The eggs I have now used to be good but over the last 2 years they are getting worse and worse till now I cant get more then about 20% hatch rate and most of the stuff I get is unhatched eggs.

Decap is great food on its own right and if you "popcorn" it the fish go crazy for it.

• 2 weeks later...

I got some this week too. They took longer than I expected to get back to me and then a week to ship them but all was forgiven when I hatched the first lot.

I have never had brine shrimp hatch in such big numbers. Hardly any un-hatched eggs at all. On my first attempt with them I just put my standard 1/2 tsp of eggs in 2 ltrs of salt water and had many millions more live shrimp than I needed. After 3 feeds each in 3 fry tanks stocked with a few hundred fry I had to biff the rest in the community tank.