Apistogramma cacatuoides

cuviceps

Got 1 today from Fee - awesome looks like a triple red cockatoo- will go nicely with my 2 males & 3 females I have been growing on. Now atleast my bloodlines will be more diverse for breeding purposes!

On that front I have 3 week & 2 week old free swimming baby's about 50-60 all up. Will be nice to see in 4-6 months to see how the colours come out! They should look sweet in my discus tank for colour.

• 3 weeks later...

My Cockatoos spawned this morning, and Mum is duitifully looking after the eggs. I've got 1 Male & Two females in the tank, what is the advice as far as removing the male and other female- they don't seem to be overly bothering Mum at the moment, but what about once they fry become free swimming?

Hi Fee, I've had the same situation as you. What I find happens is normally both females will have eggs within a day or two of each other. I then pull out the male for his safety -females may kill him(This I have read - I ain't prepared to risk my male!!) .

Normally also the dominant female will eat other females eggs or fry very quickly. My suggestion would be to move male and non spawning female to another tank and let them do their thing.

Fry tank newly hatched brine shrimp once freeswimming. Watch the female after 3-4 weeks she will be ready to spawn again, so remove her or the fry may dissappear. Also try to feed the female as per normal food regime so she doesn't get any hunger pains.

Cheers Damon.

• 1 year later...