Cold Water Marine, DIY Chiller?

Jaxxnz

Hey guy, iam thinking doing some cold water marine in my 6ft.. !drool:

for what i know i need a cooling water system.. :smln:

as to the salt water and filteration is not a big issue..

does any1 here know how to DIY a cooling system?

turnover of water vol is @ 600L

Would be a cool project, I often think about it while walking the dogs at the beach. I'm sure you could use an old bar fridge to make a chiller of some sorts, the hard part would be controlling it so it keeps the tank at a constant temperature. Given the critical nature of it (in terms of life support) it may be better not to skimp on it?

Thirty odd years ago there was a person down here who built one from a fridge for that exact project and it worked very well. The fridge coils were on the back of a stainless steel plate and the thermostat started a pump that pumped the water over the plate untill the temperature dropped. He had a little occi in there successfully for quite some time (amongst other things).

ii can score a few secondhand cooling generator around the place..i need to do abit of study about how it work :spop:

i notice the asian restrnt have a few cold water tank, but those are well price!

A standing fridge as a fish tank.. take off the front door and put in a 12mm+ glass panel :sml1: I could stock up heineken fishies...

ii can score a few secondhand cooling generator around the place..i need to do abit of study about how it work :spop:

i notice the asian restrnt have a few cold water tank, but those are well price!

A standing fridge as a fish tank.. take off the front door and put in a 12mm+ glass panel :sml1: I could stock up heineken fishies...

A school of Stellus Artoisii and a nice breeding pair of Corona Cerveza would look great.

woow that not a bad price tag for water chiller..

Thxs you Chief.. :thup:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Kitchen/Water-coolers-filters/auction-409057990.htm

I've wondered before if you could diy one of these into an aquarium cooler, probably not powerful enouf for a 600L tho, there are dirt cheep, might be good for a nano...

from what ive read about that id agree only really good for a nano as most of them are peltier type http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_cooling

there are lots of diy peltier coolers but most would only be suitable for a nano also they also draw a lot of current and can be troublesome. if you were to buy a refrigant powered water cooler you would be well on your way to owning a proper chiller for the money it would cost. if you are big into diy an evaporative cooler could be a go but you would for ever be topping