Collecting natural Sea water for a marine tank.

Stealth

Hi team:

Is it possible to use natural sea water a marine tank? but first filter it and clean it before using it in the tank...

My idea:

Using a 200L drum with a decent protein skimmer attached, cycle the natural sea water through a sump and then using it.... Obviously checking the salinity and diluting with fresh water if necessary..

Can this work? just thinking of a cheaper way in the long run..

Also does anyone know where to collect the cleanest sea water around Auckland?

Thanks

:nilly:

Hi team:

Is it possible to use natural sea water a marine tank? but first filter it and clean it before using it in the tank...

My idea:

Using a 200L drum with a decent protein skimmer attached, cycle the natural sea water through a sump and then using it.... Obviously checking the salinity and diluting with fresh water if necessary..

Can this work? just thinking of a cheaper way in the long run..

Also does anyone know where to collect the cleanest sea water around Auckland?

Thanks

:nilly:

Yes, but if you have nice water dont bother "filtering or cleaning? it", it will be much better than the water in your tank.

Your idea is simply not necessary. Simply dilute slightly and use. Alot collect from takapuna boatramp on a high tide, plenty of other places. Collect after a week or so of no rain (downpours) and just use it, lots do, and regardless on what some might say, i've heard of no-one having issues using nsw.

If the water is murky or dirty, dont collect it, go back another time.

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, but if you have nice water dont bother "filtering or cleaning? it", it will be much better than the water in your tank.

Your idea is simply not necessary. Simply dilute slightly and use. Alot collect from takapuna boatramp on a high tide, plenty of other places. Collect after a week or so of no rain (downpours) and just use it, lots do, and regardless on what some might say, i've heard of no-one having issues using nsw.

If the water is murky or dirty, dont collect it, go back another time.

+1

Especially for the part in bold.

Thought NZ had been preserved from that.

Personally, I try to collect as far away from any boats.

• 3 weeks later...

With how many contaminants in Auckland harbour, I wouldn't risk it. If you ever get a chance go down by the motorway before the bridge and check the mangrove area. That alone will make you think twice about collecting in the harbour. I used to collect from Takapuna boat ramp myself with a bilge pump (got sick of wading out down the boat ramp to get it in winter).

Thats fine, and its about time they have started doing that. But the harbour doesn't flush well enough due to all the rivers feeding into the harbour. If you look over google maps and count how many rivers feed the harbour you will see why everyone chooses Taka boat ramp. Taka is tried and true, not to mention its far closer to open sea then the harbour is. The further away from harbours and rivers you get the better the water quality gets which is what we want for reef aquriums.

Best way to check the water quality would be to use every Hanna meter you can think of, and compare the results.

I don't think many NSW using Auckland reefers would risk hundreds to thousands of dollars of livestock, because they think the harbour is safe to use.